Rating the 30 most evil tech companies

Dating app/sites as a class should get a dishonorable mention. If they aren’t leaking sensitive user info to hackers, they’re pimping it to advertisers.

Is every social media company a Facebook-in-waiting?

4 Likes

Especially ones that are designed in a way that makes them extremely difficult to repair or ones that have other planned obsolescence measures implemented.

1 Like

Soundtrack by the always awesome Laibach (again.)

1 Like

Anyone else getting an ad for refurbished Mac Minis just below this article?

How evil are these tech companies if they’re the reason why you can make a good living writing for a tech blog instead of the shit jobs I’ve had for the past 20 years where I just get by by reading your tech blog?

3 Likes

We tear the companies to small bits and roast the profits in the name of popular sovereignty.

Done.

1 Like

Somehow, I doubt I should hold my breath waiting for Cory to defend Apple in its latest security standoff with the Trump administration.

1 Like

Cory has had it out for Apple since he decided everyone should switch to Ubuntu. I’m not sure if anyone has noticed that Android is a festering pile of malware opportunities. Apple is all about user security and at least fighting the FBI to keep device level encryption legal. Yeah, they are stuck with China, but every company operating with a large presence in China (like all the tech companies) are having to make compromises because their business models depend on it. I would love to see an Apple that could manufacture all their phones outside of China, but until automation gets way better, there is no alternative for now.

2 Likes

I use something or other from 3 of the 30 companies on the list, so I guess I’m complicit in 10% evilness. I really need to step up my game to impress Simon and Hecubus!

2 Likes

They need to better define what constitutes a tech company. Some of their choices are not really tech companies (and “The Grid” is not a company at all). If they’re including companies like Exxon/Mobil (which IS evil, but isn’t really a “tech” company), they need to include some of the following: Comcast? Or AT&T? Or Lockheed or Boeing? Or just about any of the banking companies (Deutsche Bank? Wells Fargo?).

“Big Tech” infests a lot of companies, and many on that list aren’t big tech at all, so unless we’re going to define tech broadly, we should limit ourselves to a “Bottom 5” (or maybe a bottom 10).

FWIW, Facebook should be #1 (with a bullet!)
Others – Google, Amazon, Apple, Uber – can compete for #2-5 on that list, but nothing comes close to Facebook in terms sheer dismissive caring for their effects on our world.

1 Like

I’m sure it was a non-factor that the article also promoted an anti-Apple article that Cory had published that same day.

1 Like

Well this is awkward. I wasn’t replying to you, or addressing your comment. In the linked article, under Apple, there’s a dissenting opinion written by Brian Merchant. It reads,

Yes, Apple fights ‘right to repair’ movements and doesn’t want you to open up the gadgets you own yourself. Yes, it transparently sided with China in removing an app Hong Kong democracy protests were relying on to avoid police brutality. Yes, its supply chain still has major issues, not the least of which is the continued exploitation of assembly workers at manufacturing plants. But compared with its competitors, these are, believe it or not, lesser sins. Its devices have good encryption, and Apple makes security and privacy a genuine priority. It is serious about renewable energy, and meets its net electricity demands entirely with clean power. It is less aggressive in seeking defense contracts than Google and Microsoft, and is generally a better political actor. Generally. This is not to entirely damn it with faint praise—its phones are still pretty damn good, too.”

Which I thought was funny, and summarized.

1 Like

LOL no offense taken. But thanks for the reply And clarification.

1 Like

Seriously; Comcast didn’t even make the list.

Some of those listed are “too big to fail”, but making people nervous doesn’t count as evil.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.