Google walkout organizers say they're being retaliated against for demanding ethical standards

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/22/town-hall-apr-26.html

5 Likes

Welcome to the working world without a union. Now that you see their friendly campus image is just marketing, get out there and organize.

33 Likes

Kinda feel about Google about how I feel about Microsoft.

2 Likes

18 Likes

Exactly

Corporate Mission Statement:
1- make money for investors
2- fuck everyone and everything else
3- goto 1

8 Likes

To quote many, but I prefer Rage Against the Machine’s version:

And the highway is alive tonight…
Nobody’s foolin’ nobody as to where it goes…
I’m sitting down here in the campfire light…
Searchin’ for The Ghost Of Tom Joad

2 Likes

Ditched the “don’t be evil” motto, then… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

What runs through my head any time someone says “don’t be evil”:

The only way to guarantee ethical behavior in a sociopathic organization is to hinge their existence on their toeing the line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_sBNX9dP-M

9 Likes

Google: The new EDS/Perot Systems.

1 Like

This headline is the most dog-bites-man thing ever.

Apparently, all those people woke up one day and thought the laws of capitalism were revoked.

3 Likes

“Don’t be evil” was too unambiguous, I guess. The new motto, “Do the right thing,” can easily mean “…for the stockholders.”

3 Likes

Bit vague. Who woke up? Which laws?

1 Like

That was always just a catchphrase.
I understand they have replaced it with another catchphrase.

1 Like

Let me fix that headline for you. Google walk out organizers are being retaliated against for disrupting company operations instead of doing the jobs they were hired to do. Instead of being fired, they are being reassigned to other projects. They are not being retaliated against for demanding ethical standards.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the C-suite salaries, perks and bonuses!

2 Likes

How do you know that?

8 Likes

GREEN-ASTROTURF

11 Likes

Seems like a lot of hand waiving at the whole situation. The people that work for Google and particularly the ones that organized the walk out were high performers, also despite that whistleblowing and demonstrating for the right thing are protected by the law typically they end up being retaliated against despite protections they legally have and the whole thing swept under the rug. Look it up, it’s a thing.

But sure, i’ll go with your unsubstantiated hand waiving instead. Also Google is doing just fine, they don’t need you defending the faceless corporation. Also remember that them abusing their own workers, and working with China on censorship… they also have all of your data. Would you rather they continue on that path or do you want ethical employees having a say?

17 Likes

I googled the “google walkout” and surprisingly enough I got several hits…

3 Likes

Bollocks.

1. Arguably, as head of Google’s Open Research Group and one of Google’s senior AI researchers, Whittaker did exactly what she was hired to do - think about and evaluate future projects and warn against any possible negative outcome. Both as such and for Google.

2. This isn’t just about potential lucrative defense projects or the Chinese market. Most of all this is about Google’s internal problems with discrimination, harassment, unethical decision making and the failure to address those problems.

13 Likes