Google walkout organizers say they're being retaliated against for demanding ethical standards

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/22/town-hall-apr-26.html

5 Likes

Welcome to the working world without a union. Now that you see their friendly campus image is just marketing, get out there and organize.

33 Likes

Kinda feel about Google about how I feel about Microsoft.

2 Likes

18 Likes

Exactly

Corporate Mission Statement:
1- make money for investors
2- fuck everyone and everything else
3- goto 1

8 Likes

To quote many, but I prefer Rage Against the Machine’s version:

And the highway is alive tonight…
Nobody’s foolin’ nobody as to where it goes…
I’m sitting down here in the campfire light…
Searchin’ for The Ghost Of Tom Joad

2 Likes

Ditched the “don’t be evil” motto, then… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

What runs through my head any time someone says “don’t be evil”:

The only way to guarantee ethical behavior in a sociopathic organization is to hinge their existence on their toeing the line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_sBNX9dP-M

9 Likes

Google: The new EDS/Perot Systems.

1 Like

This headline is the most dog-bites-man thing ever.

Apparently, all those people woke up one day and thought the laws of capitalism were revoked.

3 Likes

“Don’t be evil” was too unambiguous, I guess. The new motto, “Do the right thing,” can easily mean “…for the stockholders.”

3 Likes

Bit vague. Who woke up? Which laws?

1 Like

That was always just a catchphrase.
I understand they have replaced it with another catchphrase.

1 Like

Don’t forget the C-suite salaries, perks and bonuses!

2 Likes

GREEN-ASTROTURF

11 Likes

I googled the “google walkout” and surprisingly enough I got several hits…

3 Likes

I’ve been using and enjoying www.duckduckgo.com

9 Likes

I expect this to be spun as resentment within the ranks and not retaliation on orders from higher up. Which may or may not be true, but I do expect that it is a case of “now I’m not asking you to do anything illegal, but [insert name] is no longer one of us.”

Unions and guilds can help some, but poisoning relationships is hard to fight.

I’d lose half my reports

Calling the employees that you manage — living, breathing human beings — your “reports” is lousy, dehumanizing language that no one should use.

3 Likes

Some of us have commented on BB in the past that, at some point, they went from “don’t be evil” to just “be evil”, then, finally, “evil”. Not sure how much more they can shave off there in their quest for total pit of abysmal darkness domination!

2 Likes