"Razor blades in my throat": FLiRT Covid variants packing a nasty punch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/08/razor-blades-in-my-throat-flirt-covid-variants-packing-a-nasty-punch.html

13 Likes

Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

10 Likes

From what I’ve been told, the new boosters aren’t coming out here 'til September. Irritating as hell, as I’ve been jonesing for the family to get fully vaxxed up for over a month. :confused:

11 Likes

great, just in time for kids to get back to school in < checks calendar > early August.

11 Likes

my throat is on literal fire!!

“literal” ?
download_b

10 Likes

My ex-wife got it again on their post-graduation trip to Disney World and had to come home early. She sounded terrible and was nauseous.So it certainly hit differently.

Knock on wood, my kid is staying away from her (and her step dad who also got it) so she can go to a reunion this weekend.

5 Likes

Hah, must be fun to live somewhere where you can just get a booster if you’re not in a risk group

6 Likes

Yeah, I was not eligible for the current booster. Pharmacist said the fall one should have wide availability (Canada - so no idea what it will be like for you)

2 Likes

Yes, being able to self-refer and make an appointment at a the chain grocery store pharmacy for a COVID booster is nice, BUT the reason that it is generally so easy* in my area is because there is so very little demand for them. So, to me that’s a big downside to my personal convenience.

*not all pharmacies or even medical practices are stocking them

8 Likes

Yeah, Norway really restricts them to the most vulnerable of risk groups. The only protection I have are the three shots I got during the height of the pandemic and the immune response from my 2 COVID infections since. I was never eligible for a booster and I doubt the new booster will be available to me either

11 Likes

It is!

1 Like

Thanks to the superlative treadmill¹, “literal” is bit like “cleave” (v) and “dust” (v): it’s an contronym: it is its own opposite.

Thus:
cleave v.

1. to split something in two
  2. to join two things together

dust v.

1. to sprinkle a dust or powder over a surface
  2. to remove dust or powder from a surface

literal a.

1. Not metaphorical; to be exactly as described
  2. Not exactly as described; metaphorical (used as an intensifier)

1] the most extreme word for a thing will be used to describe things which are not the most extreme, eventually coming to be just a mild intensifier, and a new, extremer word will be required for the original extreme meaning. See also: unique.

5 Likes

For instance… :grin:

2 Likes

The vaccines aren’t widely available in the UK either unless you are in one of the groups classified as vulnerable in which case get your ass to your doctor and arrange for a shot.

I’m trying to work out what hit me like a poleaxe a couple of weeks ago. It began with a scratchy throat from hell, turned into miserable ‘feels like I’ve got a cold coming on’ for about ten days and left me with a cough that is settling in nicely for the summer. Covid tests say ‘no’ though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.