Re: "white people don't season"

4 Likes

I started keeping dried roasted garlic

3 Likes

Is it fair to say that those who thought the Bertolli comment sincere may also have taken to heart the white-people-don’t-season thang?

4 Likes

My wife was from there. Best phonetic spelling evah.

2 Likes

I’ve had some nice cloudy Israeli olive oils I would challenge anyone to beat.
Olive oil is like wine. I don’t think that there can be a “best.”

I mean, there are people who will tell you that this is the best painting;

I like this one lots more;

7 Likes

I disagree and the method we have employed works for us beautifully. Brining absolutely does not ruin pan drippings at all, not sure how you see it that way.

I am happy you have a tried and true way for cooking turkey for the last 30 years that works for you and your family.

1 Like

My parents grew up on farms in rural NC…outside of salt/pepper there wasn’t a lot of spices other than necessary main ingredients for desserts. The vast majority of things they ate they grew, so tons of fresh vegetables, local meats, ect… Hearing stories of their childhoods they didn’t really eat much outside of the basics - I’m guessing spaghetti might have been the most foreign thing they ate as kids.

But looking back on my childhood I didn’t experience much in the way of foreign cuisine until I was in highschool, and by foreign I mean things like Mexican or Chinese…

1 Like

I saw this self-portrait in person at the Museum of Fine Arts in Houston last year and loved it

7 Likes

Phonetically, wor-ches-ter-shi-re. That’ll get you far! XD

It can, it doesn’t have to . It depends on the amount of salt you are using vs. the amount of drippings ect… Basically it can make your gravy overly salted. Of course, personally, I never found pan drippings to make some kind of next level gravy - and my wife describes my gravy skills as “amazeballs”.

2 Likes

I get what you are saying, but that tells me its bad brining technique. and also bad handling. You have got to thoroughly rinse it afterwards before roasting. Additionally, pan drippings shouldn’t be stand alone for a sauce/gravy…they should be the base and then cut with straight stock.

And I get the same comments on all my sauces and gravies. There are certain ones I make that I have standing orders for zip loc bags for freezing on. :smiley:

They inject it with some sort of solution to keep it from drying out. So if you put it in the bag, you end up with flavorless, soggy, turkey mush. I did that once. Never again.

This looks good! I should see if I can find it. I love roasting garlic.

3 Likes

In order to finally clear up that pumpkin spice lattes are not pumpkin flavored, they are now referred to as “pumpkin spice latte”-flavored lattes.

Also, woosh-ter-sheer. Emphatically not “war-chest-er”. I don’t comprehend “pronounce it like it’s spelled but the shire is silent”, which is insisted upon by certain in-laws.

1 Like

FUCK OREGANO. FULL STOP.
Body seems unclear - is it in fact a fucking full sentence? I don’t GAF.

4 Likes

Maybe new thread worthy, but I’d love to find a fish sauce which seeks to reproduce the long-lost Roman Garum. If anyone’s got a good lead on some Silphium, I’m similarly all ears.

3 Likes

cc @BlueNinja Its not just butterball. there are a bunch of large producers who do that. They essentially have the idea of “We will pre brine it for you…see we are helping” but really they are just upping the weight and charging you for water and salt. You can look at the packaging and see “solution added for XYZ reasons”

That entire line of spices is always at TJ Maxx and Home Goods stores. I always find them to be high quality.

3 Likes

no sous vide shoutout? talk about ■■■■■

1 Like

You’re correct, EXCEPT for Indian Food. I am lost at mixing those spices. My grandmother taught me how to make shortbread. Not mix curry. Its a frickin art form.

2 Likes

Growing up not too far from Worcester Mass, it’s wicked easy for me.

Here’s some funny Worcester Sauce trivia:

2 Likes

I not only season, I grow my own:

13 Likes