Read this strangely fascinating article about clam sex

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/read-this-strangely-fascinating-article-about-clam-sex.html

4 Likes

I was a little confused by the headline, and then relieved to understand that we’re talking about clams having sex with another clam. I feared I’d be reading something about “clams and the people who dig them”.

8 Likes

Hahaha!

4 Likes

Anyone who keeps clams knows all about their carryings-on.

4 Likes

Shipworms are a delicacy in the phillipines, where they are eaten raw pulled from mangrove burrows.

You’re welcome.

3 Likes

“They can be anything at any time,” Dr. Shipway said. The only way to sex a shipworm is to dissect it, but even then its sex is slippery.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I read the headline as “calm sex” and thought “Tantric? Interviewing Sting again?”

4 Likes

Ooh, nice love mussel!

4 Likes

Clam sex? How would you even…

4 Likes

So while the NYT won’t let me read any more articles, so clam sex will just have to go on my ‘someday’ list, the link to the author’s blog led me to reading an essay about how the octopus helped them think about their mother’s eating disorder and it was fantastic.

You’d worry that such musings could become verbose and riddled with similes, but lucky me; no. Just clean sentences and the deep stuff between them.
Thank you.
What a great way to spend a little of this newfound time and attention I seem to have since a little past noon.

1 Like

Read? Not w/o a couple of shakes of tabasco sauce and a spritz of lemon juice, I won’t

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.