RealityTV billionaire Trump claims, again, to have lots of cash

“IN CASH”

All I see in my head is this scene from Yakuza 0:

2 Likes

also on monday;

who the fuck would do a merger with trump media?

(even if this happens, he would have to wait 6 months before getting his hands on cash)

2 Likes

At least the Dude is housebroken.

4 Likes

Which means either he’s completely fabricating this number, or he’s talking about campaign contributions - which isn’t “his” money to do with as he pleases. I suspect it’s the first case, but he just openly violates campaign finance laws these days, so…

4 Likes

Hmmm, that’s a new technique from the Presidential satsuma: real-time ret-conning.

“I have suddenly found that I have $500m spare so it is uncanny that the incredibly biased blah blah blah judge knew exactly the sum that I’d come into it before I found it!”

Strange timeline…

4 Likes

You’re thinking of Earth-3. Earth-2 would’ve had his father become president back just after Eisenhower.

4 Likes

My nesting partner was just reading about this one. (Take this description with a grain of salt because trying to parse this made my brain hurt.) Apparently Trump Media is merging with its parent company, a shell corp that was created several months back specifically for this purpose. TM isn’t publicly traded, but the parent company is … which avoids some oversights and …

And that’s about the point where my brain stopped absorbing anything else about this in a kind of self-defense mechanism.

6 Likes

That’s what SPACs are all about in the first place. Their sole purpose is to allow companies like Trump Media to become listed on the stock market without the trouble and expense (and regulatory oversight) of a proper IPO.

Why anyone (anyone sane and normal, anyway) would want to buy Trump Media stock is a completely different question altogether.

12 Likes

Why not both? He’s ALWAYS lying about how much money he has AND as far as he is concerned, it’s ALL his money to do as he pleases with. Campaign funds, RNC funds, the operating funds of his various companies, the Trump charity, even the US Treasury when he was president. He has never recognized any limits on what he can do with those funds until forced by others. He doesn’t like to pay contractors or taxing authorities, or courts or anybody else and will resist cutting a check as long as possible.

6 Likes

9 Likes

I’ve read financial experts describe it as a “meme stock,” as in a stock whose value is based on viral interest rather than the actual value of the company. So it’s the kind of thing some investors can make a lot of money with if they time their transactions right. Think GameStop.

Anyone who buys that stock under the impression that they’re making a prudent investment in a promising, soon-to-be-profitable company has a rude awakening coming.

7 Likes

I wonder what would happen if we changed it so that all stock transactions didn’t actually take place until a week after you requested them.

5 Likes

I’d settle for a second’s delay. It’s such a shame that so many of our best and brightest, over the decades, have left productive pursuits for finance.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.