Recipe-scraping site shuts down after uproar

Yep - their bun has no seeds! Gotta get myself over to my nearest Golden Arcs to get one!

2 Likes

Wait, what? Is that a weekly thing?

Shrove Tuesday, the UK’s answer to Mardi Gras. Instead of parties and parades they have pancakes. More like crepes, but that’s what they call them.

5 Likes

Ah, OK. Growing up, when I asked when something was going to happen that had an uncertain date (buy a new car, have some special treat, whatever) my dad would laugh and say “Shrove Tuesday.” It was a long time before I realized it was an actual day, and not something he made up to be funny. He also told me Cleveland wasn’t a real city, so he was a bit of a joker. Apparently being from Pittsburgh means you don’t like Cleveland.

6 Likes

I use Paprika Recipe Manager to scrape my recipes into a very nicely organized collection that’s synced across all of my devices. I can pull up a recipe, click “Download” and voila! All of the BS is gone and the recipe is presented in an easily editable format etc… And best of all, NO ADS!

I am a major fanboy of this app and will enthusiastically gush for too long so I’ll stop now, but DM me if you want to chat about it.

3 Likes
2 Likes

It turns out that your wife hates grandma. Seriously, CNN, this is silly.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/05/us/recipeasly-food-blog-recipes-trnd/index.html

Absolutely love this app. In over a decade of iPhones it’s one of three apps I’ve ever paid for (along with geocaching and some stupid game). I use it constantly. It’s great for importing recipes, and for sharing, as well as building grocery lists.

2 Likes

Yes! I love it so much I bought the OSX version and also paid for the upgrade to Paprika 3 on iOS. What a great app; I’m glad to know another BBS’er enjoys it as well.

2 Likes

My workaround to get to the nitty gritty of a recipe in a wordy page is to ctl-f (or whatever metakey gives you a word search in your browser), and hunt for something germane like “vanilla” or “tsp”. Often jumps you to the middle of things.

2 Likes

Yummly is a recipe scraper/ aggregator and it always manages to be first in search results. Clicking on it by mistake is the single most annoying thing about online recipes. The prospect of another similar site fills me with dread.

I can live with content creators getting paid for their efforts. I usually find the stories to be way too much, but I get that it’s about selling the personal brand, the personality, SEO, etc.

Most blogs have a ‘skip to the recipe’ button that works all right. Or the ‘print’ button delivers a mercifully static, quiet version of the recipe alone.

I block the frickin video popups though. Watching half the screen get clogged by someone stirring a bowl does nothing for my concentration when I’m trying to read a recipe.

4 Likes

If she trademarked it internationally, I’ll eat my hat, although it’s hard to get completely out of range of bullying from the US on the internet.

Hm. Apparently “derby-pie” is the American trademark. (Article reads like an advert.)

Talk:Derby_pie#Trade_Marks

Agree, yummly is to recipes what pinterest is to image search.

2 Likes

That whole CNN article is insulting,but not surprising. They like every other website seemingly nowadays makes their money off making you scroll through as much as possible and seeing auto video playing ads the whole time.

And then they’re like, “Why don’t people like Grandma? They must not have humanity. They’re literally scummy non-people.”

Very disingenuous thesis. We want the recipes. We are okay with the story, but we don’t want “Ingredients after the cut” and then “Recipe after this short video” and then “Instructions after THIS short video”

4 Likes

I don’t understand how Yummly is popular unless it’s gaming Google. I hope most people have figured out uncurated, randomly collected recipes are not good and sometimes have unsafe food handling recommendations.

Pinterest has/had potential. I would love to land on someone’s image board see similar images with a link to the original source. Unfortunately, it aggressively wants you to log in and obscures the original source. Pinterest results are so popular I have to omit results from every county’s domain. I would hope this behavior would negatively affect their SEO.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.