Red hot nickel ball on floral foam - best reaction so far

[Read the post]

5 Likes

yo, but at the end, they should have taken a bat to the burnt foam and filmed it shattering in slow motion.

6 Likes

Re slo-mo scattering, what about breaking glass in polarized light? So we could see the shock waves traveling through the material, and how the fractures follow?

1 Like

The heat clearly “burned” it, but there was no obvious flame. The internal glow at the very end gave it away. Until then, I was wondering if it was some other kind of flameless rapid oxidation.

2 Likes

Wow…I thought the scale was SO much bigger, so my reaction towards the end was “good lord look at those pliers!”

6 Likes

The same thing baffled me. I thought the material was somehow conducting the heat down by steps or something. Smoldering didn’t occur to me.

Vandaveon and Mike, is that you?

I still prefer the Red Hot Nickel Ball vs Jawbreaker:

6 Likes

YOU REALLY THINK JET FUEL COULD DO THAT?!

Mandatory non-cap text

5 Likes

All I can think of is that floral foam must absorb water differntlt from other foam, and that it must also conduct heat differently

8 Likes

Oh GOD IT’S BURNING INTO MY BRAIN MAKE IT STOP AGGGGHHHHH splorsh pop

I knew nothing of RHNB till now. Floral foam and this is awesome.

God I love science as entertainment

1 Like

@funruly Time Bandits ftw!

2 Likes

lol no, I just like knuckleheaded shit and say “yo” a lot, I guess :^)

1 Like

I like your version better.

1 Like

Next up: RHNB vs. Donald Trump.

10 Likes

2 Likes

I can’t find it now, but there was a show I saw (maybe it was SmarterEveryDay) that showed the differences in internal stresses between normal and tempered glass and Prince Rupert’s drops using both polarization and highspeed cameras.

It was really cool to watch as the stresses in the tempered glass spread out from the point it was hit, like lightning almost in it’s shape, then shattered into millions of pieces along those tiny little stress lines. The prince rupert drops exploded so quickly their highspeed couldn’t keep up. One frame the tail was changing color as it was snapped, the next all you see is glass shrapnel.

3 Likes

Ugh, floral foam! Don’t know why, but it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me. That and people crunching ice in their teeth.

3 Likes

Best reaction but probably one of the worst smells.

7 Likes