The red hot ball of nickel has met its match

[Read the post]

1 Like

What sort of additives would the puck contain to make vulcanized rubber that placidly indifferent to an attempt to set it on fire?

1 Like

Watermelon and eggs held up surprisingly well! Nature apparently knows how to resist red hot balls of nickel better than man.

1 Like

kids in Africa could’ve eaten that hockey puck

10 Likes

Every time I see RHNB all I think is “boy, I’d probably try to pick that up by hand at least once.”

7 Likes

“Regulation hockey puck?” Definitely not game ready. Should have been taken from a bucket of ice water - supposed to be “frozen.” … And made in Slovakia! My cold cold Canuck heart screams in pain from the poor Slovakian product not built to take the heat.

5 Likes

Yeah game ready would have been kept in a freezer. There are several countries that make regulation ones.
As far as the puck itself goes, vulcanized rubber means this stuff has been heat treated already and at high temperatures so I can see why it kinda shrugs at the red hot metal.

Almost as boring as a red hot ball of nickel applied to a HRSI (High-temperature Reusable Surface Insulation) tile used on the space shuttles.

Looking at the other videos it’s just common sense; anything that carbonises is resistant, because carbon is stable up to very high temperatures in the absence of air, and the ball of nickel excludes the air from the interface.
This is just as well because red hot carbon exposed to air results in poisonous carbon monoxide, and red hot carbon monoxide and nickel react to form the extremely poisonous nickel carbonyl - even 3 parts per million in air can be fatal. Try this experiment with the wrong substance and no ventilation and it might be the last one you ever do.

8 Likes

Just trying that phrase out. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Red hot balls of nickel.

Nope. That’s not gonna work.

5 Likes

None; seemy comment above. The nickel in contact with the puck excludes air from the interface; the rubber gets carbonised (emitting some water and, I guess, sulphuric acid in the process which helps keep the air out) and the carbon layer gradually gets thicker until it forms a fairly impervious shield.
In the same way, large timbers such as are used in old house beams and ships may become quite self-extinguishing in a fire once a thick carbon layer has formed. Ship timbers were often saturated in salt from inside as a preservative, and this increased their fire resistance still further.

Fun fact: The DOE made the roof of a test house using the same tile material as the Space Shuttle. It’s still lived in by a nice family in Alburquerque.

1 Like

Seriously? I hadn’t heard that before. You wouldn’t happen to have a link would you? Not challenging you, I’m just curious.

4 Likes

Impervious to red hot nickel, but hockey pucks blend well.
Will RHNB blend? ? ? Curious minds want to know!

3 Likes

We won’t know that for sure until he actually tests the RHNB on a man. Or woman, whatevs.

C’mon, do it for science!

Sorry, the house predates the web. Can’t find anything posted. I just happen to know the family there. The walls also use 6" studs and a few other energy management tricks

You can view it at:

2 Likes

I don’t suppose that would be considered doxxing?

Reminds me of my mantra back in an early AM college chem class: This is not a cup of coffee, This is not a cup of coffee…

2 Likes

Exactly why not to use cute coffee mugs that look like beakers…

Or the other way around. Fun fact, my biology teacher in high school kept a mug of bovine liver enzyme (or probably just bile) on his desk. We students didn’t know about this till one day, when the class was too rowdy for his nerves, he surreptitiously stuck an alka seltzer in his mouth and swallowed a mouth full of bile.

The foam-splosion was epic. He didn’t even get in trouble, because we were so impressed and nobody felt it was necessary to complain about our biology teacher pretending to commit suicide.

Moral of the story? Always have a cool trick up your sleeve. Mine is smoke pellets.

2 Likes