Redaction fail: government admits it went after Lavabit looking for Snowden

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Wired has gotten pretty annoying with their adblocker hate.

5 Likes

Just hit Esc after the text appears.

Why won’t the bums work for free?

5 Likes

They expect to be paid for the content that goes into the magazine that everyone quit subscribing to over a decade ago. I’d pay a buck a week if they’d revive Suck.

2 Likes

That pretty much is the larger story here, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Nope. Doesn’t work. It’s not a popup. It’s a new page, or a reformatted page.

FWIW, the article loads ok for me when using uBlock origin. I think I’m using the default filter set subscriptions. I’m not running Noscript in this instance.

*Edited to add an antecedent instead of a lonely pronoun.

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago, @enso posted a javascript fragment that solves that problem.

4 Likes

Took Wired off the whitelisted JS domains in ScriptSafe. Problem solved.

2 Likes

The funny bit is, we were talking about how you can’t have unqualified people doing redaction just 10 days ago.

3 Likes

Worked for me, (hence the suggestion.)
Maybe I got it in before the JS had finished loading?

1 Like

Has anyone tested the constitutionality of these gag orders yet? They’re clearly infringing the first amendment rights of people who have never made any commitment like getting a security clearance.

5 Likes

Shocked, simply shocked!

I used to read Suck. Such pioneers! "A fish, a barrel, and a smoking gun."

Staffers seem to have gone on to other interesting projects and surprising life changes in the case of one wonkette…

1 Like

This works like a motherfucker. Thank you @RatMan for pointing it out and @enso for being magical.

3 Likes

I didn’t write it. I just found it.

1 Like

Well, I’ll give you a thank you as well, anyways. Stupid thing showed up for me even after I tried shutting off adblockers. Since it’s not my job to troubleshoot my browser for them, especially after I’m already seeing their ads, an easy solution is much appreciated.

2 Likes

Please don’t link to The Daily Mail Wired.

1 Like

Wired may be a bit misguided, but its not actively evil like the Daily Mail.

As a space buff, there’s a couple quotes that make me like Wired:

In the context of Id Software, I have been written about in a large number of magazines and newspapers, including big ones like Time, Newsweek, Forbes, Fortune, The Economist, the NYT, etc. Many things are often reported incorrectly. I still remember the first time I got a call from someone fact checking an upcoming article. It was from Wired magazine, which has fact checked with me directly every time they have written about me. I have explicitly asked some magazines to do a fact check call, and got a haughty “We don’t do that”, as if I had insulted their journalistic integrity.

Some years ago, Wired asked me to write a tiny little piece – I think the limit was 250 words – on one-way Mars missions, just explaining briefly why the idea might make sense. After I sent it in, I was a bit startled when their fact checker called me up and asked for references on a couple of the numerical details I’d quoted. I don’t know whether he actually dug up the references and checked them, but he did want to know that the facts I was citing were at least somewhat verifiable. I can’t say that I’m all that enthralled with Wired in general, but this aspect impressed me.

• Henry Spencer
2 Likes