Reddit 'quarantines' white supremacist, incel, holocaust denier, and other gross subreddits

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/28/reddit-quarantines-major-w.html

5 Likes

Because it is needed EVERY GODDAMN TIME.

Also GOOD.

35 Likes

100-little-late-now

17 Likes

I guess a quarantine of the worst subs is something, but it doesn’t stop the people who visit reddit looking for those things from infecting the other subs. They are still everywhere on the site.

18 Likes

They aren’t quarantining /r/the_donald so it’s all bullshit.

38 Likes

Also this:

and this:

29 Likes

The ContraPoints on Incels was fascinating.

12 Likes

I think the logic is they can more easily monitor the quarantined subreddits and their denizens and shut them down when they inevitably violate the site’s terms. We’ll see how it works out.

8 Likes

I understand that and am aware of the fine line that they are trying to walk. I’m just not convinced that it will have much of an impact.

8 Likes

Oh silly publishers, confusing themselves with the manufacturers of the medium.

The medium is IP. IP should not censor packets based on content. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Reddit is a publisher, just like people who print stuff on paper. Paper is the medium, it should not censor. Publishers inherently represent what they choose to publish, plain and simple. If neo-Nazis want to make a chat forum on their own domain, I think that should be allowed under the law of the land as it currently stands.

This has nothing to do with publishers monitizing their platform by making it available to, say, Nazis. Fuck THAT noise.

8 Likes

Agreed. Unless they have a mechanism to allow mods to autoban subscribers from certain quarantined subs and users to ignore them, it’s just a baby step.

The /r/atlanta sub rarely goes a week without brigading by t_d trolls - frequently ones who’ve created new accounts just for trolling.

6 Likes

The purpose of such quarantine-for-decontamination is to prevent the spread of contamination, and to contain the contamination such that others are not put at risk from a person fleeing a scene where contamination is suspect. It can also be used to limit exposure, as well as eliminate a vector.

Wouldn’t in inoculation in the quarantine area be the next step?

10 Likes

Cleansing it with fire might be the more realistic option, especially considering its conspiracy-minded inhabitants have a larger-than-normal overlap with anti-vaxxers.

13 Likes

They also overrode the decision of /r/KotakuInAction’s creator to shut down his subreddit because he realized how much of a shit-filled cess pool it was, then stripped him of all moderator powers over it so… yeah, fuck reddit.

15 Likes

Cool start but call me when they quarantine /r/the_donald

17 Likes

If you are redditting without a good 17-19 socket puppets in your RES account switcher … I mean, what are you evening doing there ?

philistine.

5 Likes

Nuke it from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

7 Likes

There’s something poetic about unironic Tankies getting censored.

7 Likes

No, they are a host, the users are the publishers.

1 Like

LOL you’re so silly

The users are the unpaid content creators.

The ones who make the publishing platform are, indeed, the publishers.

You can tell yourself this isn’t the case, but that doesn’t make it true.

3 Likes