Reddit survey: What is the worst thing that is legal?

Donald Trump himself.

9 Likes

The internet of things, smart phones, surveillance capitalism, and targeted advertising. And touch screens.

4 Likes

Charging interest/profiting from money lending.

2 Likes

Multi-level marketing

13 Likes

I had the same thought, but for employees. Workers shouldn’t have to sign away their rights as a condition of employment.

13 Likes

came here for fossil fuels easily number one (and plastic second.)
all the stuff listed in this thread ought to be illegal, but I don’t get why it isn’t more prevalent an answer. I mean, fixing any other suggestions is a hollow victory if the planet won’t sustain life anymore.

edit: illegalizing LLCs and “corporations are people” would be third I think, this would take care of a lot of other problems stemming from wealth concentration and buying legislation with that money. or help a lot toward that end.

7 Likes

Oh, damn. I missed it. Thank you for quoting it!

4 Likes

No, you didn’t.

5 Likes

“You know, Burke, I don’t know which species is worse.
You don’t see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.”

four percent doesn’t come from just anywhere.

5 Likes

Speech that makes me uncomfortable.

14 Likes

Two different questions here, with different answers

What is the worst thing that is legal, and should be illegal?
What is the worst thing that is legal, and yet should remain legal?

3 Likes

The USA in its current incarnation.

Our nation has allowed a cult of insanity to come in and roost, putting the ability to right things nearly out of reach. It is shades of naziism, the USSR or the Spanish inquisition here right now. Misinformation everywhere you turn. Angry mobs of anti-science fake news junkies calling everyone else traitors. Racist vigilantes running amuck, never being charged. 1/3 of the legislature in open sedition. A mob boss as President. Utter disarray as Covid rampages.

Legal. Should be illegal. Should be different.

11 Likes

Currently… Trump’s pardons.

7 Likes

I’m not saying it comes from nowhere. I was pointing out, based on @anon55609254’s figure, that one can live comfortably and securely on $400k a year by the terms of the “4% Rule” (and that no-one needs to make $40-million a year by the same terms).

Also, that quote from Aliens is more about Burke’s self-destructive greed than it is about her rejection of interest-based income.

5 Likes

Why would someone suggest phone spoofing is the worst thing? When my house was stolen by a con artist scum bag in Cranbrook b.c the only way I could get him to answer the phone was to spoof B.C.lottocorp. as my phone number.

1 Like
7 Likes

Pharmaceutical advertising on TV. Thanks, Clinton

7 Likes

Ask your doctor today about QuenvexitololTM. For when you really need to be there.

Do not take QuenvexitololTM if you are allergic to QuenvexitololTM or any of its ingredients. Common side effects include cough, sore throat, open sores on the face, eyes, tip of the penis, and clitoris, may induce miscarriage in wombats, studies have shown QuenvexitololTM may help with being there, in some rare cases QuenvexitololTM may cause you to swell up like a corpse, or even become one. If you get a pimple on your left nipple stop taking QuenvexitololTM immediately and call your doctor as this is a sign of a sever reaction. For information of a QuenvexitololTM discount please visit unioncarbideamerica.com. QuenvexitololTM is a trademark of Hasbro and its subsidiaries.

6 Likes
8 Likes