Reddit survey: What is the worst thing that is legal?

Somebody will say “Well, actually I meant vocal fry” but I’m sure that’s not it.

12 Likes

I’d amend that to ‘for profit public services’

I’d include transport/utilities/services in that

The profit motive is utterly toxic there…

If it’s funded by the taxpayer, there should be no profit motive, period…

6 Likes

Another one that really triggers me…

This should be treated the same as tatooing a baby, for the same reasons.

7 Likes

When it’s been brought up before I’ve had people argue that they get their infant’s ears pierced as if that’s an equivalent argument.

I’ve had to explain it’s more like getting your infant’s ears cut off. And of course those same people will argue it’s nothing like cutting off an ear. Because apparently “ears serve a purpose but foreskins don’t”. I have no idea how people make their way through life with such a lack of thinking skills.

9 Likes

I agree, if anything i’m being restrained here, circumscision is such a major change (both male and female) that theres no way it can ever be justified bar major medical need.

Argh! Rage!

Just put a legal adult age consent on it bar medical emergencies, would solve most of it…

If a person wants it when they’re old enough, fine. But before that no.

8 Likes

advertising/marketing

5 Likes

It’s illegal to me.

Get rid of traditional TV, install UBlock Origin, curate your own music files, install Blokada on your phone. Use Youtube Vanced. Setup a Pihole on your home network. Suddenly like 90% of ads are gone from your existence.

10 Likes

This one really gets me. We all agreed to ban pyramid schemes- great. But MLMs are so transparently the same thing. Everyone can see it’s an obvious scam and yet they’re allowed to exist and are some of the largest corporations in the world. WHY?!

15 Likes

They’re fantastically wealthy you say? Doesn’t that mean they have the power to legislate/prevent the legislation of whatever they want?

Corporations are people my friend. Are you racist towards MLMs? Would you prefer that your daughter worked for a nice mom and pop?

9 Likes

Occaisionally i’ll browse the internet on a fresh OS install on a sytem and every time i’m astounded by the sheer magnitude of the advertising…

And then i see why many of the worlds problems exist… :frowning:

6 Likes

I have an IT background. I’m that guy who installs adblocking on institutional PCs whenever he sees them unlocked. Just cruising through the library installing Ublock Origin on all the computers.

“Hey, can I see your phone for a minute?”
“why?”
“I’m gonna make it faster and increase its battery life.”

19 Likes

Same, i do it on every PC i come in contact with.

Just feels like yelling into a storm for all the good it does :frowning:

7 Likes

you’ve improved the life in a small way for anyone who uses that computer. Consider it a good mitzvah.

11 Likes

Encouraging, enjoying, and threatening prison rape.

6 Likes

How about the legal marriage age in some US states?
Yikes!

7 Likes

The KKK

Home schooling (many do it right but there’s a whole crop of unfortunate children with messed up parents)

The electoral college

Allowing “Natural Flavoring” as an acceptable label for food ingredients. What is it from, the flavor tree?

The stock market

8 Likes

First past the post voting in the UK.

For those of you living in more enlightened parts of the world*; FPTP means whoever gets the largest number of votes in a constituency - even if they are far short of 50% of the vote - gets the seat. Everyone else is screwed.

Doubly so when you consider the massive, almost unassailable powers accorded to the UK government without serious court or legislative checks.

No government in the UK has won more than 50% of the vote since 1931, and I think we can all agree we’ve had some pretty ‘radical’ governments since then.

• such as - and I can’t believe I’m writing this given its current government - Australia.
9 Likes

I fired up a new install of Firefox a few days ago before installing ad blockers and came to a certain site (rhymes with DoingDoing) dear god, the amount of advertising and the sheer quackery of that advertising.

The blocker went on double-quick.

11 Likes

A friend of mine was “married off” at 14 or 15. It required parental consent, still totally effed.
This was in Kentucky in the ‘90s.

8 Likes

If you could occasionally hunt down and corner a MAGAt and then brick their phone, you’d be like the Dexter of IT.

2 Likes