Supreme Court tosses corruption suit against Trump because he isn't president anymore

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/25/supreme-court-tosses-corruption-suit-against-trump-because-he-isnt-president-anymore.html

16 Likes

Pack that fucking thing.

54 Likes

I’d rather they impeach the last two Justices.

35 Likes

“Crimes don’t matter if they were committed in the past” seems like some pretty bad precedent.

103 Likes

Do both!

11 Likes

Not guilty by reason of title change, hmm? It’s got impeachment defense written all over it.

In sharpie.

38 Likes

I guess we’re living in a Minority Report world now.

13 Likes

Why bother with laws if you can’t enforce them?

31 Likes

We’ve been living with a pretty bad president for a while.

C’mon SDNY, I’m still waiting…

16 Likes

So you can commit crimes while in office, that violate the laws surrounding proper conduct of that office, but as long as you delay litigation long enough, you just…get away with it. Swell.

41 Likes

Your Honor, my client is not killing anyone right now, and those he has killed are beyond all further harm, so I move we dismiss all charges.

61 Likes

Constitutionally they can’t remove a justice without 67 votes in the Senate

They can add more justices with 50 votes and the VP

22 Likes

Interestingly enough this is the same argument I’m seeing for dismissing the impeachment.

So the message is: Get elected, do as many crimes as possible, then don’t run for re-election. The courts are slow enough and you can stonewall/delay enough to make sure you get off scot free. It’s the perfect crime. All you have to do is be a total sociopath and play up people’s base fears in areas where the vote is disproportionately powerful.

20 Likes

The Court got to go on record as never hearing the case, but they still voided all then previous court results, which means they actually did implement their verdict. That’s some really cheap shit, Justices. Yet another case of giving anyone in D.C. a free pass for all wrongdoing, and now it’s a legal precedent.

17 Likes

Trump should be sending Mitch a fruit basket as we speak. Packing the courts is already paying off dividends for him.

9 Likes

Even that would be a high bar to hurdle, given the attitude of several of the conservative Democrats in Congress. Those assholes are the reason why I hold little hope for the future of this country in the long run, despite the temporary win of the Democrats in this election.

4 Likes

Hey kids! Gather round! You, too, can get away with whatever you fucking want also long as you paint yourself ridiculously orange, pretend to be stupid rich, and have the worst hair on the planet. Yes, it’s just that easy!

3 Likes

19 Likes

Absolutely! Nine justices has been the arbitrary number since 1869, the republic is much bigger now and with far more legally dependent social issues - we need better representation from the supreme court! Pick any odd number of justices between eleven and nineteen (for starters)

6 Likes

But how about, Right Now?

13 Likes