Redskins owner sues Native Americans who testified on racism to Trademark Office

Meanwhile they play like shit with crap stacked on top. Just couldn’t help pointing that out.

Why don’t they just go with The Hogs?

Oh, that’s easy. Very few “bad guys” – and by this I don’t mean murderers / criminals / evil archnemeses, but just garden variety assholes – are actually self-aware. In their minds, they are being unfairly vilified by someone else, and are being forced to defend themselves for no good reason. Doubling down on stupid in the face of widespread calls for change could be viewed as genuine stupidity or outright evil, yes – but the more likely explanation is that they just haven’t actually bothered to spend a moment of quiet introspection, or considered the possibility that they might actually be the one in the wrong. I suspect that aversion of introspection is in fact the very thing that makes them assholes in the first place.

4 Likes

Add to that a couple of voices supporting the “bad guy’s” viewpoint and suddenly not only are they being unfairly vilified, but they have proof of that too!

1 Like

But I, that am not shaped for sportive tricks,
Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass;
I, that am rudely stamp’d, and want love’s majesty
To strut before a wanton ambling nymph;
I, that am curtail’d of this fair proportion,
Cheated of feature by dissembling nature,
Deformed, unfinish’d, sent before my time
Into this breathing world, scarce half made up,
And that so lamely and unfashionable
That dogs bark at me as I halt by them;
Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,
Have no delight to pass away the time,
Unless to spy my shadow in the sun
And descant on mine own deformity:
And therefore, since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
I am determined to prove a villain
And hate the idle pleasures of these days.
Plots have I laid, inductions dangerous,
By drunken prophecies, libels and dreams,
To set my brother Clarence and the king
In deadly hate the one against the other:
And if King Edward be as true and just
As I am subtle, false and treacherous,
This day should Clarence closely be mew’d up,
About a prophecy, which says that ‘G’
Of Edward’s heirs the murderer shall be.
Dive, thoughts, down to my soul: here
Clarence comes.

2 Likes

Sorry, I should have read more carefully, I was remembering an exchange as a back-and-forth which made me feel like you’d gone fishing for a fight when it involved more than one person. This was my lack of reading comprehension.

1 Like

I think the reason Snyder ended up with the team is that he channels former owner Jack Kent Cook. What a couple of dopes.

Nailed it.

1 Like

I think the Native Americans would disagree with you. Europeans from Spain, Britain and France most certainly had a direct part in the genocide of Native peoples.

7 Likes

Oh yeah, sure he did – by making sure to remind us that sometimes non-white, non-hetero, non-cis-males totally whine too much and it bothers him. He just HAD to throw that in there. Along with what milliefink mentioned. But sure, totally, yeah, he acknowledges his privilege … with qualifiers.

Yeaaaahhhh, that’s what we call not actually acknowledging his privilege.

1 Like

No, you’re really not aware of your position. I mean, well, you’re aware enough to feel comfortable telling those whiny non-white, non-hetero, non-straight-cis males to shush and stop whining so much.

So why did you feel the need to qualify your “yeah I totally have privilege statement” with “oh but sometimes y’all whine too much”? Oh maybe it’s because you aren’t as self-aware as you think you are? Possibly? Yeah.

No, you just said those non-whites whine too much, right? We can read your text. It’s right there. In black and white.

“that groups can be too quick to “take” offence where none was offered”

Ah, yes, the white man knows when non-white non-males take offense too quickly! But sure sure sure, you’re aware of your privilege. (Except not really.)

If you want me to believe that you actually understand privilege and that you are privileged, it might help not to include “but!” or “except!” or “unless!” qualifiers, ya know?

1 Like

I don’t know where you get the “non-whites” from. But yes, some people whine too much. Even I do. What’s your point?

Exactly. The stereotype does contain minute traces of what white people actually knew about about the cultures in question at the time, but like all stereotypes it is more about the culture that does the stereotyping.

Depends on what you mean by “reducing”. If you mean willfully pretending that an outdated/wrong stereotype is the reality, then I agree that it’s bad, though I’d hesitate to equate it with full-blown racism (but that is mostly because I don’t want to dilute that word).

But if you mean it to include every “use” of a positive stereotype (no, I won’t use scare-quotes on the word positive), then “The Sound of Music” is obviously racist. It reduces Austrians to the stereotype of lederhosen-clad music lovers dancing accross the alps. The whole movie is basically a projection of American debates about how evil the Nazis where. And most importantly, Schnitzel does not go with noodles. Still, I am not offended (just amused).
Or take the 2004 movie version of “Around the World in 80 Days” with Jackie Chan. The protagonists in that movie don’t travel from country to country, they travel from stereotype to stereotype. Pure, distilled, ridiculous stereotype. It’s fun, and nothing else.

Sometimes, positive stereotypes don’t slide towards racism. Sometimes, they are even “adopted” by the people in question. Maybe that is something that only independent nations can do; maybe that just doesn’t work for minorities within a nation. But it’s not as simple as saying “every stereotype is evil per se”.

1 Like

I really have no idea what you’re talking about now. I just wanted to comment that I though the owner of the Redskins was acting like a douche when he could have acted with some integrity, and would have perhaps benefitted from doing so.

It seem that you feel my position is irrelevant yet disqualifies me from having an opinion. Which is it?

Well that just isn’t true is it? You’d already responded with a sarcastic little rejoinder. Something along the lines of “Well isn’t that nice” if I recall correctly (and can scroll up the page).

I’ll take your advice seriously, reconsider whether or not I am pre-judging people’s views or opinions on the basis of my experience and observation. All of us can learn to take a more considered position. Bye for now.

But you’re not really contradicting me; allow me to clarify what I meant. I wasn’t trying to deflect blame.
The descendants of the Europeans (yes, I admit) who helped perpetrate the genocide are no longer Europeans.

Why is that important?

European culture had enough of a superiority complex that Europeans would just go someplace and take what they want. But they did not hate their victims at this point.
Now those Europeans settled in America, and started taking away people’s land. And those people tried to defend themselves. Now settlers died as well. And of course, they didn’t admit that the natives had a right to defend themselves, they said “those damn redskins killed my [father/mother/…]”. And this might have made the stereotypes imagined by white Americans more negative than those held “back home” in Europe.

That was the theory I offered as one of many alternatives.
I did not intend to defend the European mindset of the time.