Refrigerated clothing for people who want to lose weight

so can we turn the AC back to 70°F in the office, or is that still too ‘cold’?

So, I use a passive no-cost version of this all the time. I reasoned that if I was cold my body would burn energy to warm up, and therefore I’d lose weight/not put as much on. So I simply reduced the amount of insulation on my bed - one less blanket, or one less layer in the duvet. The first couple of nights are a bit miserable, but you soon get used to it, and it does seem to help. And then you can take another layer off.

Of course, it does help to live in a sub-tropical environment, where it’s freaking cold, all the goddam time :frowning:

I actually first wrote “cools down your blood,” but then I went to their website and read about the science behind it, so edited my post.

According to them, you really can’t significantly cool down your blood or your core temperature just by cooling your wrist. Instead, cooling your wrist, either with this or with water, just cools down the skin but is enough to make your body feel like it’s colder.

1 Like

And changed the key light from a soft frontal to a high angle to make his muscle definition visible.

Would that have any effect when the ambient temperature is above body temperature? And why not just keep a cooler full of blue ice packs in the vehicle instead?

Liquid cooling itself can’t keep you below ambient temperature; but it makes it substantially easier for a single cooling unit(whether a heat pump, a chunk of ice/dry ice, a flask of liquid nitrogen, an evaporative cooler, whatever) to provide thermal regulation across much of the user’s body: the cooling unit cools the liquid, it gets pumped through the LCVG and warms up as it absorbs heat from the user; then returns to the cooling unit to start the cycle again.

Without something to supply lower-than-ambient temperatures(heat pump, supply of cold material, evaporative cooler), such a system couldn’t get you below ambient; but might still be helpful if your equipment is a dangerously good insulator (like the blast-resistant suits people use when defusing explosives, or chemical/biological protective gear); since you could reduce the effective deltaT between the user and the outside pretty substantially.(edit: without cutting big gaps in the protection offered by the garment, since you just need to route a couple of tubes, not expose any skin or pump outside air through; if exposed skin is fine, then skip the fancy stuff and wear a T shirt, damp for evaporative cooling if it’s a dry climate).

As for why not use ice packs, the real answer is probably “because military contractors”; with some arguments to be made for the value of not needing to remove/loosen gear to swap used packs for fresh ones, and deal with multiple pouches in various parts of the uniform to maintain comfortable temperature without excessive hot or cold spots; with all thermal interaction instead being confined to a couple of quick-disconnect fittings that jack into a portable module or vehicle crew support bus.

I suspect that just using boring gel cold packs and a 12v mini fridge bodged into your vehicle’s inverter would get you 80% of the benefit for under 10% of the cost; but since when has that made for a good defense trade show powerpoint deck?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.