Regina Spektor's stunning cover of The Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/12/regina-spektors-stunning-cov.html

2 Likes

My daughter really likes Kubo and the Two Strings. She also likes Coraline. She has decided to rename Coraline to Coraline and the Two Buttons.

13 Likes

Removing the guitar solo reveals how remarkably insipid the lyrics are.

4 Likes

It’s a really good movie.

9 Likes

Kubo looks like a great movie. That song is pathetic. Plucked strings dont weep well.

2 Likes

One of my favorite animated movies and a beautiful cover of a beautiful song.

7 Likes

I’ve loved Regina’s music for a long time, ever since I first heard Fidelity, and it’s great to hear her doing such a wonderful cover of this. I’d put this right up there with Fiona Apples cover of Across the Universe and Sarah McLachlan’s version of Blackbird.

Edit: Oh, and Elvis Costello doing Penny Lane, and of course Joe Cocker doing With a Little Help From My Friends, and we can’t forget Aerosmith’s rocking version of Come Together, and Siouxsie and the Banshees doing Dear Prudence. There’s been a heck of a lot of great covers of these tunes.

5 Likes

Kubo is fantastic. Enough weird folklore feel and japanese styling keep it amusing,

1 Like

I love this cover and actually find it better than the original. And that is coming from a man who’s first favorite album was the White Album (age 5, listened to it over and over again every day)

There is just something about the shamisen instead of a guitar that clicks for me in this song.
EDIT: Hell, the lyric-less version they used in the trailer for Kubo had me in tears.

6 Likes

Might be a great movie, though I haven’t seen it. It’s a great cover of a great song, true. I would greatly prefer to hear Regina just singing the song without all the movie sound effects, though!

3 Likes

The official soundtrack version is just the track, no sound effects.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Seconded - the shamisen made it for me, too.

2 Likes

Oh yah, I am a huge fan of the Brothers.

I’m not sure what I think of this version. But I think it needs more samisen and less orchestra.

Kubo was great; far better than I thought it would be given it’s decidedly Western provenance*.

Regina Spector is fantastic in everything she does.

This version of WMGGW is also very good!

But having it tacked onto the end of the movie left a sour taste. It kind of broke the reverie of the film and thrust me back into the predictable world of the mundane. For all the strengths of the song, it was the absolute weakest part of the film.

*I feel the movie was a bit too individualistic for something that was ostensibly Japanese. More importantly, I don’t think the movie ended the way it would have had it been produced in Japan (what with the grandson and his grandfather). The Tale of Princess Kaguya is much more in line with what I was expecting.

As a story, though, I still liked it a great deal and thought it took a lot of creative chances.

5 Likes

One of the few covers i don’t hate with a fiery passion. Thought that was great but i do love a big of regina anyway, her latest album is worth checking out.

Wonderful movie, but I admit that I am partial to the original version of this song.

I’m not sure what it is, but Regina Spektor annoys the hell out of me. I think it’s that there seems to be something contrived about her singing style.

1 Like