Relive 'The Battle of Yavin' in beautiful 'De-Specialized' 4K

The men in Black agents using walkie-talkies to stop the bike teens in E.T. were really annoying.

3 Likes

I’m holding out hope for a version done entirely in stop motion animation by the reanimated corpse of Ray Harryhausen.

1 Like

I believe it was included on a laser disc or re-release DVD in the ’90s. It’s been uploaded to cyber car trunks and digital suitcases on TV trays thousands of times I’m sure.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I was 15 in 1977 and saw the movie 11 times that summer. Now, it looks kinda sad. The miniature work looks particularly like a model train layout now — practical effects fetishists like to claim that physical materials lend a mass and groundedness that CGI lacks, but all I see on the surface of the Death Star is foam and polystyrene. There’s no recapturing that 1977 feeling of getting swept up looking at that mess, made even worse in 4K.

While we’re at it, I’d love to see an updating of Toy Story with the textures and shadows updated, and the “warm-blooded” characters redesigned and rerendered.

2 Likes

It really does, but part of that is having seen all the behind the scenes videos, and having seen today’s insanely good special effects. It’s me that has changed, not the movie. I look at it like a moment in history as much as a fictional movie, so I find watching the seams to be fascinating, even as I find the reused footage in the trench scene really annoying. I guess they didn’t shoot enough coverage.

3 Likes

For the toy story reboot specifically, they had to redo all of the character models because the old ones didn’t translate into modern software. I doubt they would ever redo the animation and rendering in that case. It’s not just a “hey we can make it better so just re-render the whole thing” process. They’d literally have to remake the movie.

2 Likes

I am nothing to do with that “special” release, but they tested our film emulation software, George Lucas wanted to see the results for some TXH1138 footage. The original film exposures were pretty extreme, particularly for the more drugged-up sequences. If you get onto the extremes of the film exposure curve you get wacky colours. You hope they will come out on the release print looking as good as the answer print you saw in dailies, but there is a good chance they might not as film processing does vary. There are all sorts of colours you could get on a high-gamut projector that might look like one of the THX1138 prints, but you won’t find those colours if your release is fitted to video or P3.

2 Likes

I won’t watch it until they replace the tie fighters with the original Lancaster bombers, and the exhaust vent with a dam across the river Möhne.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.