Remake of teen witch classic "The Craft" is underway

Oh, come now. Certainly it wasn’t that terrifying. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

FINALLY! /s

I want to know when they’ll get around to remaking All That Jazz…

5 Likes

Musicals, oddly enough, don’t seem to get remade or rebooted nearly as often as other genres.

Hell, Mary Poppins is the only recent one I can even think of right now, but I’m sure someone will be along any moment with a contrary counter-point.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m shooting a bit in the dark here, since I haven’t seen any version of it, but A Star is Born is listed on Wikipedia as a “musical romantic drama”. Is that close enough? It’s been remade twice now.

Still, that doesn’t make you wrong. Rocky Horror Picture Show was also remade. Hairspray

Hmmm. I’m not really up on the musicals. I have a friend who is though; if I think of it I’ll ask him if he knows of any others the next time I see him.

(eta) At least I’m not as bad as my mother. My wife and I got her to watch Moulin Rouge. Near the end she blurts out, “Finally! She’s dead!” That’s when I learned she doesn’t like musicals. It was a surprise.

4 Likes

Hmm…all I can think of is Little Shop of Horrors which became a musical stage play and then a musical film all after it was a non-musical film.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t count A Star is Born, because it’s a drama about an entertainer’s journey, despite all the performances shown.

Musicals, in my personal definition, are flicks where the characters randomly burst out into song every 10 to 20 minutes, for no apparent reason.

(I’m generally not a fan of the genre, with Rocky Horror and Grease being two notable exceptions.)

That one counts, but no one has tried to remake it… yet.

3 Likes

I’m just thinking, All That Jazz was nominated for 9 Academy Awards and won 4. And it’s 40 years old now. I could see “them” attempting to mine that vein, although it may have been too much a product of its time. I haven’t seen it in a few dogs lifetimes, so it’s difficult to recall much about it.

3 Likes

I’ve actually seen it again within the last two years; the narrative itself is kind of a mess. It’s all Fosse’s incredible choreography sequences that tie the film together so well. (RIP.)

I think an All That Jazz remake is about as likely as a Cabaret remake; which is to say, not very.

6 Likes

Just because you make your categories so specific that there are only a few items in the category doesn’t make the best one automatically a classic.

Do we count Blues Brothers as an action musical?

4 Likes

I hope they do it where it all turns out to be a MLM scam for essential oils but everyone dies from influencenza from posting on Instagram

That one’s tricky.

My personal metric of characters randomly bursting into song applies with Think & Shake a Tailfeather, but most of the musical sequences in the film are the BB band’s performances.

4 Likes

It will likely be very bad.

1 Like

Japan has that plotline fairly well tapped in the anime genre.

3 Likes

Though it’s probably too much to hope for, it would be nice to see the remake deal with the more positive aspects of present-day witch culture. The 90’s film was full of that period’s angst; it’s not the same flavor as what I see now.

More likely, though, it’ll end up saddled with a bunch of horror tropes. At least one person will be dragged backwards into a dark room by an invisible force. In the trailer.

2 Likes

Part of me wonders if a more realistic witchcraft movie would suffer from the same basic Achille’s heel as Gene Roddenberry’s utopian vision for Star Trek, forcing the writers to sprinkle a little conflict on the peace, love and understanding to get the dramatic tension to rise.

2 Likes

You can always make it a double feature with The Lost Boys

6 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t call it a classic. Remake away.

Yes. Yes we do.

1 Like

That movie has not aged as well as Kiefer Sutherland…

3 Likes