Remember Miss Cleo's web of lies?

I have a gender fluid sister-in-law who steadfastly refuses to believe that me, a Libra, should be married to my wife, an Aries, for reasons involving the moon.

She cannot grasp the dissonance of being able to freely choose your expressed gender identity yet also the inability to resist the pull of the moon and choose your preferred spouse.

9 Likes

Just curious - What makes Miss Cleo more of a fraud than Joel Osteen and his ilk?

3 Likes

Did anyone say she was?

8 Likes

My local has a function room out back. Was booked last year for “Psychic Mike” or some such shit.
His posters were a work of art, and fiction, obv.

Took about five minutes before they were defaced with all sorts of disparaging comments including, of course, a speech bubble with the words: “I see dead people”.

Naturally, and I’m sure you’ve all seen this coming, he cancelled the show. Apparently due to lack of ticket sales rather than unforeseen circumstances.

1 Like

Birds of a feather; she wasn’t ‘worse.’

They are simply more successful at the con than she was; arguably, Miss Cleo’s grift likely harmed fewer people.

13 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

It helps that Joel Osteen is a white man pushing a prosperity doctrine ideology that at least some Americans are already inclined to embrace because of the protestant work ethnic combined with mass mediated capitalism…

9 Likes

At least in those days we had James Randi.

Here’s a good one on horoscopes…

5 Likes

I remember at the time someone pointed out that if telephone psychics were real, they’d call you.

3 Likes

That’s very cool someone tracked down the facts and made that video.

Her fake Jamaican “shaman” or whatever character is actually a trope, pretty similar to The Oracle and even more, Tia Dalma in Pirates of the Caribbean. Because it’s a trope, a very tired one at that. Given that the writers of both the Matrix and Pirates would have seen plenty of Miss Cleo, I wonder if she inspired them a little bit, or it’s just a really old trope?

2 Likes

To be clear, I don’t think miss cleo was ever charged with anything. It turns out that it is is not actually a crime to convince people that a Jamaican lady with tarot cards could see the an individual person’s future over the phone and furthermore would do so for a few dollars.

The owners of the call network she represented were charged with deceptive billing and advertising practices – instructing their call center operators to tell customers that the reading was free, that they were granted additional free time, placing them on hold while 1-900 charges added up, and not including call cost information in their advertising.

The former is unethical and harmful, but the latter is illegal. But it’s easier to blame the fraud on the outrageous spokesperson that everyone knows from TV (especially when she is a woman of color) rather than a couple of anonymous white dudes that actually ran the scam.

5 Likes

Then there’s the Myers-Briggs evaluation, which is a horoscope that companies are willing to pay for.

8 Likes

Oh god, thank you. M-B is bullshit made up from whole cloth and the traction it gained in culture, business, and schools is unconscionable. Nowadays there are dozens of copycats going by other names and you can’t get any sort of management training at a company these days without being exposed to one of them.

7 Likes

That’s catching on in Asia these days.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.