Remembering the wild days of IRC on its 30th birthday

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/04/freenode-ftw.html

7 Likes

I rarely used IRC. I did use the BITNET version of it especially on the long Friday evening monitoring the 3270 lab.
I then jumped into LambdaMOO which scratched that itch when I was in charge of the new PC labs with brand spanking new IBM PS/2 computers.

I feel really really old now.

4 Likes

Ah, IRC. My misspent youth, in the mid and late aughts: online, late at night, on IRC via a homebrew DS client. Met a user going by w1nston there and introduced him to the nascent TAILS project.

2 Likes

I spent a long time on EFnet IRC going back from 1995 to the early aughts. Mostly in #unix and some more artisanal channels. Made many friends and met Mrs Ficus. Good times.

6 Likes

Neat… I met MrsTobinL on LambdaMOO…

5 Likes

Finnish university student’s summer project.

2 Likes

IRC continues to be wild. I log in every now and again just for old time’s sake.

3 Likes

It’s too rare to see a chat mechanism that is actually a protocol; rather than synonymous with a specific ‘app’ and specific operator.

the long abandoned #boingboing channel on free node still exists but its been a ghost town for years

Thanks, I was thinking IRC existed over thirty years ago, but I was getting it confused with BITNET, which I had completely forgotten about.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.