Remote "uncontacted" island tribe killed an interloping missionary with arrows

Plus a couple of extra likes for co-opting the Crusaders’ cry!

3 Likes

Related-
We had a beloved, charismatic high school band teacher quit his job and follow his passion, taking his wife and young kids to Africa(somewhere) to teach music. Within a month, he was in the hospital, hit by a motorcycle.
He recovered, got back and sson was hit by a bus and died. Slow learner.

1 Like

Maybe the Prime Directive trumps the Indian penal code?

PS autocorrect on Android wants to turn “trumps” into “Trump’s” lol

2 Likes

For one i don’t feel like cheering on someone’s killing even if i think what they were doing was immensely stupid. And i don’t think this guy was going out there to do harm to these people, what he wanted to accomplish would definitely cause a lot of problems for the tribe but i don’t think he was going out there crafting a mad plot to erase the natives.

But as i say in the rest of my post, even if he had good religious intentions ultimately whatever came of his visit would end up in disaster one way or another. And being a-religious i would prefer the natives to keep their customs over adopting a foreign set of beliefs.

6 Likes

Also it’s entirely possible this dude was delusional and had a real death wish [/shrug]

3 Likes

Weird. There’s a post about the martyrdom of St. Sebastian’s hardrive a couple threads over.

7 Likes

I don’t know about cheering on his death, but on the spectrum of possible outcomes, I’d put this as second best, slightly behind “the man realizes maybe this isn’t a good idea & goes home”, but it’s still quite a lot better than many other exceedingly likely outcomes so (shrug)

Even if he thinks he was doing something good, I think he was working towards a bad outcome, and I’m glad he was stopped

11 Likes

If only all missionaries could be given the same fate, the world would be a better place.

4 Likes

Hmm. Except they were dragging his body around. It’s not like they were handling him with rubber gloves while wearing filtered masks. Whatever bugs he may have been carrying, they were exposed to.

7 Likes

He went to convert them, they helped him find Jesus

There, I fixed your headline

15 Likes

There would be absolutely no point to missionary work if you didn’t come from a position of assumed cultural superiority(if your brand of salvation goods isn’t better than the local one then there’s not much of an argument for going to trying to convert them).

What is vastly less flattering is how often the belief that the fact that you were born lucky with respect to easy cultural transmission of the relevant revelations and the other guy wasn’t also implies your cultural superiority across a wide range of areas from architecture to linguistic complexity to choice of animal parts suitable for eating to not sacrificing babies to demons in cartoonishly evil rituals tends to crop up…

You aren’t really much of a missionary if you have a “no, it’s cool, you do you” position on the relative merits of your religion and theirs; but that neither implies that you possess nor requires that you assume superiority in any areas of cultural practice not directly dictated by religious instructions. Indeed a more literal than usual “there but for the grace of God go I” case could generally be made.

Beyond mere good taste there’s also the issue that tying your missionary activity to theories of general cultural superiority has a lot of the same pitfalls as tying your religion to a state’s interests: there are some juicy perks to be had from the culture whose ubiquity you’ll be advancing; but they won’t come without strings.

11 Likes

Lest we forget the sacrifices Saint Seagate made spreading it’s data across the land.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, the reviews on google maps begin to going bananas…

https://www.google.com/maps/place/North+Sentinel+Island/@11.5571647,92.2065715,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x30863a35c7c1b4e1:0x22f2e4fd1e2aa9c5!8m2!3d11.5503652!4d92.2335066

5 Likes

Agreed, but I place missionary work in a different category than encounters like the story of Michael Rockefeller:

2 Likes

Oddly, I find that much more persuasive. Can we found a religion on it and then not go annoy people about it?

8 Likes

If you teach another culture to be Christian, you are by definition wiping out the native culture and tradition. You certainly don’t have “Indians” when your done. Missionary work is a hostile act. Go talk to the old people on the US reservation about forced boarding school and being beaten for speaking their native languages.

12 Likes

Or whatever gods they worship on that island are the true gods.

3 Likes

That was awesome.

1 Like

They’re called Unitarians.

4 Likes

My main concern is that they will now be bothered even more. Nothing gets far-right Christians’ juices flowing like martyrdom and the possibility of taming or destroying dark-skinned heathens.

7 Likes