Renoir sucks—or does he?

Even if I loved Renoir, I’d be kind of put off by the descendant’s words, due to the fact that “the market has spoken,” especially when used in a discussion about art, is an exclusive argument of horrible assholes.

3 Likes

Renoir, who cares? I’ll continue to hate on someone I care about hating on, Dali. There’s a guy deserving of ire if ever there was one.

Man, this stuff really pushes my “old man” buttons (but hey I’m only 45). This attitude that we often see on the Internet that “everything sucks!” really sucks! I mean, its ok to not like a thing, but then to say the thing sucks or is no good shows, I think, a lack of understanding and/or contextual awareness, especially with older works of art.

I have a teenage relative that hates the Beatles and just thinks they are talent-less and “just no good”. Like the cynical friend I had a while back that would tell me Shakespeare “really isn’t that great”. That attitude just kills me, I can’t take it. Maybe I’m too easly, I like everything! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Boy, I love Renoir’s use of red. But then, I love Monet, so I like to see similar images of the same locations and events.

3 Likes

My reaction exactly to that. I mean, WTF? How many dots did you do???

3 Likes

Have you disowned this relative yet?

4 Likes

If you think that the market is rational, you might be an economist.

If you think that it has a worthwhile opinion on art, even the other randroids probably think you are a little extreme.

2 Likes

It might be more effective to tell them that the sentiment “Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust” has been old enough to drink legally in the US for 15 years now.

Nothing takes the fun out of being a contrarian like being late to the party.

6 Likes

MrsTobinL’s step dad got to see them in The Cavern way back when and his thoughts at the time were these guys will go nowhere. A lot of their stuff I can take or leave (mostly cause I have heard it so so so many times now) but they did put out some really great songs and they were very influential to other bands who came later.

2 Likes

this whole “renoir sucks” thing has been enraging me for over a week now. it’s clearly just trolling, but it shows such blatant ignorance for art history as well as the art of painting itself to even be saying such a thing. van gogh’s paintings were not photo-realistic or in proportion, either, but that’s NOT THE POINT OF THEM.

10 Likes

I don’t think that the protesters are upset by his failures as a photorealist, since he neither intended to be nor is marketed as one; but rather the fact that he’s sort of the Thomas Kinkade of Impressionism.

I love Marnie the dog!!

1 Like

then why do so many of the instagram posts complain about things like unrealistic color, proportions, postures, etc.? either way, his place in history and art history is secure, so i guess there’s that.

2 Likes

I can’t speak for the complainers; but I imagine that they draw flack(where, say, Picasso tends not to, for markedly more egregious violations of realism) because they are seen as falling into the intermediate zone where they are neither skilled technical representation nor effectively figurative, symbolic, etc.

The notion that painting is basically just a contest of technical aptitude to see who is best at being a really inefficient camera is tactical nuclear philistinism; but that doesn’t mean that anyone who shows up intending to employ nonrealistic effects for some artistic purpose gets credit for the attempt. You have to actually succeed, or else you’ve just drawn people looking sort of weird.

It’s sort of the visual equivalent of trying to use similes and metaphors. If you know how to do it, your deviation from the literal delights the reader. If you don’t, it just appears that you have a very poor grasp of what words mean.

5 Likes

Look, Aristotle made some very good observations that advanced what could be called science at the time. But that doesn’t mean I still believe that rocks fall because they want to be one with the Earth.

Verdict: Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

3 Likes

True. The point you might be heading towards is that Renoir appeared to be more of a colorist even than Monet. My personal opinion is that he was more of a hybrid of an Impressionist and an evolved Tonalist. I think it’s most evident in works like Dance in the Moulin de la Galette.

I’m currently working on a cityscape painting of a daycare center here in Austin that recently got a makeover with some very bright primary and secondary colored exterior panels. One thing I can tell you is that to the naked eye, not a single one of those colors is the same as what comes out of a tube – and then there’s the issue with shadow and reflected light.
Color mixing for realism can drive you crazy, much less perspective and spatial relationships.

8 Likes

It could be also said that the reverence for Aristotle held back the further development of science for quite a long time.

3 Likes

I know next to nothing of art and I’m honestly confused by this post. Are we meant to learn Renoir is legitimately considered to be bad now or is the whole thing to be taken ironicly? My gut says there’s at least 2 levels of irony going on here but then the comments are mostly taking things at face value so I don’t know what to think.

3 Likes

It’s cool, I’m pretty sure the originator is a little confused by now too.

1 Like

If commercial pop lasts for long enough, it becomes a revered classic. See Mozart.

2 Likes