Renoir sucks—or does he?

Duchamp summed it up quite eloquently…
duchamp fucking critic

13 Likes

He looks so much like a skull because of how thin his skin is, I take it?

3 Likes

Don’t ask me to opine. I actually like both Renoir and Thomas Kinkade. And Little Caesar’s pizza.

4 Likes

Hardly.

I can’t stand The Beatles either.

7 Likes

Hey, where else can I get lunch for two days for only $5?

6 Likes

I have certainly had worse, at much higher prices.

Shit, I still buy and enjoy top ramen.

4 Likes

Man, that sounds unexpectedly yummy. I don’t think I’ve had a hot bowl of yummy ramen in too long…

4 Likes

So, what is worse?

• Renoir
  • Little Caesar’s

0 voters

1 Like

I’ll cop to never giving any particular consideration to Renoir. I accepted that he was a canon impressionist and left it at that. like damn near everyone, I liked Monet when I first learned about these things, and Cezane. Van Gogh was really in his own league, of course. but certainly, Renoir was doing the damn thing. his rep was well-earned.

with the distance of over a century, these folks are tearing Renoir down to feel better about themselves; their taste as a reflection of their self-worth. it’s pathetic. none of these dorks can paint as well as him. if they could even paint at all, they’d know enough to know that their opinions are ill-informed.

(regarding impressionism, particularly after seeing his canvases on exhibit, I’m now most partial to Gauguin. sublime.)

4 Likes

I was on the fence, but had to go with the cheap pizza. They’re both salves for the wounded soul, but one of them doesn’t get so much grease on the upholstery.

4 Likes

You are so right, ChickieD! Renoir and many, if not all, the Impressionists were about the light. Their paintings were as much meditations on light as they were about the drawn figures. If anything, Light was as an important subject as anything drawn by that school of art.

And anyone who can’t see that, let alone anyone of the ilk that thinks judgmental adjectives pass as critical analysis, is a buffoon.

6 Likes

Its all about colour and light.

2 Likes

Renoir. You can’t eat Renoir.

1 Like

If you had a Renoir, you could buy an awful lot of Little Caesar’s.

7 Likes

I was thinking about that play too, ever since Seurat was brought up!

1 Like

On my trip to France, I visited Monet’s home in Giverney. I’d never really been a fan of his; just too damn pretty. But when I learned that he designed his garden in order to paint it - and his garden is a masterpiece - then I was like, dude, I love ya.

In Paris we visited the D’Orsay, which is the museum with a lot of impressionist stuff. We mainly visited because the building is super neat and we were doing an Art Deco, Art Nouveau themed visit (with my mom; she’s into that kind of stuff). Anyhow, the artist who super surprised me when I saw his work in person was Manet. I’d never liked his stuff. It was so odd and dark. Seeing it in person is such a wow. The famous painting of the picnic with the nude plopped in the middle of it - she’ s staring right at you, almost pops off the page. It’s like a 3D effect. And his other stuff too is just so much more mysterious and deep in person.

I’m still not sure that I particularly spark joy at these paintings the way I do with modern art, but there is a lot I appreciate now that I once did not.

(pics from Giverney)

<–he designed it to do this where the clouds reflect among the water lilies; that’s why this photograph looks JUST LIKE his painting

6 Likes

And who determines what is success, and what is not?

Duchamp wrote a name on a urinal. Warhol set up a camera to film the Empire State Building for eight hours. Those appear to have been deemed “successes” under the principle that “If a Recognized Artist does it, it’s art by definition.”

Van Gogh never sold a painting in his lifetime… “success” is funny.

2 Likes