Renoir sucks—or does he?

I thought they succeeded at that because of the recognized principle that they were awesome. Actually, Warhol, not my bag, but Duchamps j’taime.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the actual point of Duchamp’s unrinal (and some of his other work) was to make people question the idea of what is and what is not art. You are actually supposed to think, “how the hell is that a piece of art?” (Or, maybe, just to laugh) I think he was asking us to consider whether something could be art simply because someone deemed themselves to have transformed it into art.

Empire on the other hand, is just great. I don’t love Warhol, but I like that.

1 Like

um… jealous!

I guess everyone gets to hate what they don’t like. Which is fine, so long as it doesn’t get out of hand. Me, I’d love seeing the paintings in person. It definitely makes the experience much more significant than viewing it as an image on a phone, tablet, computer screen, or even in a book.

So people hate Renoir. Who will care what they think in twenty minutes time?

2 Likes

My mom took me last year. She has been fortunate to inherit and retire well enough that she can help us out a bit. My brother and sister have small children and have tapped her well more than once; I’ve been pretty financially independent. She realized it wasn’t really fair to me and took me with her to France, which was nice. She also was getting a little unsure of herself and I think felt more comfortable with me along to help her navigate Paris on her own. We really had a nice time together.

4 Likes

I hate Renoir, and I certainly won’t care about that 20 minutes from now.

I definitely agree about seeing the paintings in person, though. I certainly would go and do that if I were in the right neighborhood.

1 Like

Particularly poignant when you consider that one of his most famous quotes was: The pain passes but the beauty remains.

2 Likes

I dislike Renoir because I find his palettes to be meh, the faces to be creepy and subjects to be saccharine, but then I dislike a lot of impressionist masters like Cezanne and Degas too. Other than the occasional Monet and Van Gough, I’m happy to ignore that period of art.

sure, disliking is one thing. everyone has different tastes, and that’s cool. but these people staging “protests” and calling for him to be removed from museums… why not just have a discussion about the art and how it all works or doesn’t work, etc.? that’s what art’s all about!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.