Replica of 2001: A Space Odyssey's HAL 9000 powered by Amazon Alexa

My theory is that he is played by Tom Cruise in the sequel.

Yeah, Alexa is already breaking into unprompted fits of maniacal laughter, and thanks to smart locks she can, in fact, refuse to open the pod bay doors. I’m not sure this is the parallel they meant to be drawing, but…

4 Likes

That particular ‘malfunction’ was not lost on me.

There have been a more than a few pop culture mediums that have touched on the subject of tech gone completely awry; one that always stuck with me despite it’s poor quality was Electric Dreams (no connection to Philip K Dick.)

The premise was an advanced computer which controls the protagonist’s entire home achieves sentience and then becomes obsessed with his girlfriend; at one point trapping them inside the house.

Though the movie was campy as fuck, the premise itself still thoroughly freaked me out, and that was years before I finally saw 2001.

Fuck a ‘smart house’; as long as I’m able to do common everyday tasks for myself, I’ll continue to do so.

4 Likes

An other §review I read said that it did have canned HAL recordingsresponses for specific phrases.

This video sums up the differences between how we thought computers would dissapoint us and how they actually do nicely.

Second point - they thought Hal was going haywire because of one sensor malfunction, how optimistic! In reality Hal would probably need a few reboots every day.

1 Like

Hmm. Well if they talked back and forth something like this, then just maybe:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.