Report: Charlize Theron negotiated pay equal to male co-star after leaked Sony Hack emails

Convenience? Hacking an employer’s proprietary information isn’t a proactive means of not being lazy.

1 Like

Sorry, I really still don’t understand what you are getting at here. I feel like you are interpreting my posts differently than what I intended to say.

Which is, before even considering agreeing to a job with any company, or taking any pay from them, investigating whether or not they seem to treat their employees fairly. Or at least what their policies are with regards to such things. If they sound exploitive - don’t work for them - even if not taking the job is inconvenient. I think this sounds really obvious, but apparently most people don’t do it, otherwise such companies would fail from lack of people.

In short - don’t work for unfair people. They don’t deserve you.

I have never worked for an employer that did not have the “do not discuss pay with coworkers” proviso in the handbook. Despite the law, good luck with that.

1 Like

Oh yes, “The Handbook”! My previous job fell apart when I pointed out to them that their handbook only outlined what employees were expected to do - but not what their actual corporate policies may have been. I had to point out to them that if they could not even articulate their policies, their own charter, even an outline of their managerial structure - that there was no evidence for whatever authority they claimed to have in the company, or over me in my position.

Yes, I was a lot of fun there! They even hired a new hardass HR executive just to deal with me.

4 Likes

[I don’t even know what I was trying to quote here]

I guess the point I’m getting at is that the employers most people (outside of a few industries) have the opportunity to work for all tend to run HR in a well-developed, standard sort of corporate manner. That manner hides information. It isn’t seen as “unfair” even though it distorts the market and is unfair to particular individuals as well as the market as a whole. The employers care about their little corner of the market and don’t see any reason to give away that asymmetry of information until all employers are forced to give it up. I suppose it works differently in things like the bar/restaurant industry, but in manufacturing, companies tend to use all the little tricks as an industry standard. Even supposedly great companies like Google, Apple, etc., all do this.

And yes, the real solution for the individual is to find a way out of the tech/manufacturing industry. The real solution for society is to radically adjust the transparency of institutions like private or public employers.

You get it.

2 Likes

I don’t doubt that this is a problem, but I wanted to speak to the “American Hustle” example specifically. Didn’t Jennifer Lawrence have a smaller part in the movie than the other the primary stars? I noticed you didn’t say what Amy Adams made. If she made less, then I would agree, but she had far more to do in the film than J-Law.

I thought the US was the only western country that didn’t have paid maternity leave.

3 Likes

We have what’s called Family Medical Leave, but it’s unpaid and for a relatively short amount of time. I was referring instead to the tendency for mothers to leave the workforce for some period of time when the children come. I guess when I said “freedom,” I was being sarcastic…

This “freedom” is what those on the Right cite when they say there is no reason for any sort of paycheck fairness legislation.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.