Report: China now blocks Wikipedia in all languages

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/13/report-china-now-blocks-wikip.html

1 Like

Egad! A return to the Dark Ages! How will those poor Chinese settle their bar-room arguments now?

2 Likes

Since wikipedia is so often the arbiter of history the Chinese are likely trying to skip Orwell’s step one:

“Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”
― George Orwell, 1984

8 Likes

Hey, Wikipedia is based on Reliable Sources (which are defined as the corporate and state media of Anglo countries).

3 Likes

Why should anyone be able to learn about anything anyway? What’s the use?!

I’m surprised they didn’t just block terms like “election”, “freedom”, “surveillance”, “democracy”.

Mind you, I think the USA has already used advanced mind control to erase those from the population’s heads anyhow.

2 Likes

A neighbour of mine, originally from China, told me how she had been on holiday there over the summer. And I made the polite envious sounds one makes when speaking of holidays, and intimated that it must have been wonderful.

She was indignant. Not at all! She said it was creepy to be electronically cut off from “everything” – from information and from many of her contacts here. She said she couln’t wait to come back to Canada.

It’s easy to be glib about China and make jokes about the “great wall” but the situation seems to be getting worse and worse, and it’s not a good thing.

9 Likes

I had the same conversation this weekend. Chinese friend said she was going to China for a month.

Me: That sounds so exciting bla bla bla.
Her: I hate China. It is a terrible place.
Me: OKAY!

7 Likes

They’re still there. The mind control is even more insidious as the terms have just been associated with fast food, cigarettes, and gun collecting.

1 Like

Freedom! ('Cause I would really, really love to stick around)
You’ve gotta give for what you take

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.