Report estimates over 400,000 slaves currently live in the US

The sex trafficking issue is quite serious and difficult to unravel with all the bad information and political and religious misinformation out there. By all means continue to do what good you can.
I’m going to push the end legalized slavery angle again though. Don’t stop talking and sharing stories with anyone who will listen about sex slavery or any type of slavery happening anywhere. But if you can take 10 minutes to send a letter to your congressman or ask a question of someone running for office about the how the U.S. has never abolished legal slavery and asking what they are doing about it, I think it would help. It’s not an issue muddied up by complex definitions or misinformation. This is a clear cut easy low hanging fruit issue we can actually solve as voting citizens

Sure, they don’t completely strip you of rights. And you have some rights even if they are different and within the sort of microcosm of the military. Not saying it’s a form of slavery or anything, just that some of your legal protections are signed away while you are serving. You are right there are ways to get out of the military.

1 Like

That was heartwrenching.

And shockingly familiar - my wife’s uncle had a ‘family member’ who had just ‘always’ been with them. She had been his nanny when he was a child (he is about 60 now), originally in Colombia. I have no idea if she was ever paid, or what the arrangement was, but she moved to Canada with them.

I met her in the late stage - when the parents were gone and the uncle was caring for her. She lived in his home and he clearly adored her very much. But the history might not have been so golden.

5 Likes

Was gonna say, I’ve never heard of a prison in the states where a prisoner could go without being punished into submission for not working for free.

2 Likes

This is talking about slavery TODAY, not 170 years ago. TODAY.

And talking about slavery of the past also matters, given how it’s continued, primarily through the criminal justice system.

7 Likes

Isn’t that a bad example, since Klinger was there till the end?

3 Likes

Not to mention, the character of Klinger is problematic a/f to begin with.

5 Likes

Indeed. I loved MASH as a kid, but looking back, the show had some real problematic elements, including Klinger. Hawkeye’s treatment of women is another issues - constant sexual harassment in the work place working with that guy.

Still, I think as a show, it had a lot of things to say about the nature of a war that had only recently ended and was still fresh in the American imagination.

6 Likes

It wasn’t a serious example :wink:

1 Like

Well, it wasn’t a serious response! :wink:

2 Likes

I cannot say the same; as a kid, we lived with my Gram who was an avid fan, so I had no choice about being exposed to a show that seemed even more boring than watching paint dry. (Only one tv in the house back then, and no cable for many years.)

I usually found something else to go do with my time when it aired.

Agreed; even though I didn’t actively watch it, the sense of ‘toxic masculinity’ came through and clear, anyway.

Getting back on the topic of present day slavery… as a woman of color, I can’t even begin to express how disheartening such horrific stats are…

2 Likes

Fair enough! It’s not for everyone.

Yep. It’s an ongoing problem, here and globally. It’s inexcusable anywhere, but doubly so in a place where slavery was so recently a major part of the economy (and where those after effects still shape people’s experiences today). Capitalism has always had a slavery problem, though, being built on race-based slave labor in the first place.

4 Likes

If you want some seriously scary reading, research tomato pickers. Many in South Florida are held in fenced camps and wages are sequestered until the end of tomato season. Pregnant women work in the fields, insecticides are sprayed on top of active workers, and the rate of birth defects in children of pickers is appalling.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.