Reporter likely to be charged for using “view source” feature on web browser

The proper analogy is I mailed you a letter, but I wrote it on the back of my medical records, and I’m mad that you flipped the letter over.

46 Likes

Something tells me Parsons still has an AOL email address.

13 Likes

Jim Nabors could sing though. Governor Parsons, I suspect, has very little redeeming value.

12 Likes

No good deed and all that. Next time just leak it anonymously to reddit or something.

9 Likes

If this case goes beyond a summary judgment for the defendant, I’ll be surprised.

Edited to say:. And of course I’m wrong. Although this certainly meets the standard of "There is no dispute as to the facts, only the law is in question., summary judgment only applies in civil, not criminal cases. I should have listened to the little voice in the back of my head that suspected that was the case.

10 Likes

It really deserves a Cleveland Stadium letter.

38 Likes

All due respect, but I think your rebuttal gives the MO Gov a little too much credit. It’s not even a “different way” of looking at what the server sent you. It’s literally looking at what the server sent you!

Parsons should be removed from office immediately based solely on this utterly absurd and totally revealing “analogy”.

11 Likes

I’m accidentally pushing F12 and don’t know how to fix my browser right now!

14 Likes

To make this great analogy perfect: it’s as if the state sent you that letter and there was additional information printed on the inside of the envelope. Not a place you’d usually look, but they still sent it to you and it isn’t unreasonable you’d see it.

19 Likes

That was good, I learned several things! I didn’t even realize he was gay, just that he was an incredible talent and likable guy.

7 Likes

Might be able to troubleshoot this by viewing the source code.

10 Likes

The really scary thing to think about is that Parsons’ predecessor was worse, and the only reason Parsons is governor is that his predecessor had to resign.

11 Likes

BZZZT! Wrong!

The SSNs were already in the raw data sent by the state’s web servers to every users’ browser; which in the cases of Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari, Opera, and others, are not open source at all. Every ordinary desktop browser, open source or not, will show the unformatted data that the web server sent to the users. The user didn’t have to “query” anything.

Anyway, with any other claimant this would be a clear cut SLAPP case, except for the important fact that a politician is using the threat of criminal prosecution to stifle the reporter’s first amendment rights; it’s not a lawsuit. Instead this is now an abuse of power case.

Whatever state attorney gets assigned this case had better find a way to get it thrown out before he gets disbarred for prosecuting it. And I hope Governor Pissant reaps the full rewards Missouri’s state Supreme Court can deliver to him.

18 Likes

That person is only one Parson.

Ugh. Now I have the urge to go fish Language for Time-Travelers, L. Sprague de Camp, out of the basement, to read on the Great Vowel Shift (debatable topic, I know) when person and parson were pronounced pearson and person.

Stripped-down version without the essay text between incidents:
https://linguistics.byu.edu/classes/Ling230am/stories/time_traveler.htm

9 Likes

Careful, the State of Missouri will arrest you for that!

6 Likes

We have many deep ravines in this part of Canada.

7 Likes

So much for being the show me state, I guess.

24 Likes

Are you sitting down? I’m now going to introduce the ‘index’.

9 Likes

I was going to say, let the man try to press charges or whatever and run afoul of anti-SLAPP law. The recognition that these sorts of chilling effect type lawsuits exist and that there should be laws protecting against them are some of the genuinely good laws on the books IMO.

5 Likes

Even better, it’s as if a television broadcaster sued you (back in the analog days) for adjusting the “color” knob on the TV set so that you were watching in black and white.

5 Likes