William Barr says he can "conceive of situations" where journalists should be prosecuted

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/15/william-barr-says-he-can-con.html

9 Likes

Someone with this poor a grasp on the plain meaning or intent of the US constitution has no business setting foot any further than the entrance of the DOJ.

29 Likes

11 Likes

If you needed further evidence of why tRump wants this bloated alcoholic as AG, well there it is.

17 Likes

I can conceive of situations where journalists should be prosecuted. Like, say a journalist held up a liquor store.

Is this guy just flaunting the fact that he’s going to be confirmed by lick-spittle Republican senators regardless of what he says?

He should have just said, “I don’t know, WOULD YOU?!?”

20 Likes

Wait…I can see a situation where you would prosecute a journalist…

Journalist kidnaps someone, holds them for ransom.
Journalist gets a weapon and goes on a murder spree.
Journalist drives without insurance, an expired license and registration.
Journalist lies to the American people and colludes with a foreign government to fuck with our elections.

Ya know…The same thing other people should be prosecuted for.

20 Likes

And the arbiter of truth would be the alternative facts folks perhaps? If I don’t like the truth you report your ass is going to prison or maybe an unexplained accidental death. Seems reasonable. Sarah Huckster could contribute a lot to this idea.

3 Likes

And to think, of all the possible awful choices Trump could have gone with for AG, this guy is almost like a best case scenario.

3 Likes

Holy shit, that is fucking terrifying. Can I guess how we might define “putting out stuff that is hurting the country?” Maybe, just like a random thought, proving that our president is a foreign agent? Would that be hurting the country?

14 Likes

That fine. I can conceive of a situation where Trump’s entire cabinet is indicted for criminal conspiracy and treason against the United States.

12 Likes

I thought you said persecuted!

To-ma-to, to-mah-to

2 Likes

Seems like he’d be a real gas to work for.

#oaf

At least he’s being honest. Every AG for the past ten administrations or more could probably conceive of situations where journalists should be prosecuted.

2 Likes

Well at last the US is catching up to the rest of the third world.

2 Likes

He is 100% going to take the Mueller Report, lock it in his desk and release his own “summary” of what’s in it. Absolutely guaranteed this is what will happen.

We are effing doomed.

The only good news today is Corsi is probably going to end up doing some time, yay, he is a horrible little creature, physically and mentally (this is the dude who started and continues to this day that Obama was not born in USA and that his birth certificate is fake)

2 Likes

I am Senator Joseph McCarthy, and I approve this message.

11 Likes

But he didn’t say any of that. He said in cases where journalists are doing things that “hurt the country,” In other words, prosecute journalists for doing things that in Barr’s opinion are somehow doing intangible harm somehow to someone. Barr just admitted that yes, he would prosecute journalists for doing their jobs. There is no other way to interpret that remark.

3 Likes

The “hurt the country” argument seems all too applicable to the fucksticks in office currently.

Even more reason why those arguments have no value, and those who suggest them are the ones hurting the country.

4 Likes

really? so i had to include a /s in that for you?

1 Like