Republican Tennessee lawmakers introduce bill to make children born through artificial insemination "illegitimate"

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/11/republican-tennessee-lawmakers.html

Wouldn’t the child be completely legitimate, as in intentional by default? If we’re talking about the birth parentage, why are we discussing this in the 21st Century?

9 Likes

Is that Senator Hensley’s license plate?

2 Likes

Is Tennessee in the 21st Century?

Yes, yes, I know. That’s not fair on the many decent people from TN. But still…

12 Likes

Because science is terrifying and if it cannot be stopped then it must be undermined at every conceivable step.

9 Likes

I read recently, someone suggesting the way forward for the USA, has to include taking the franchise out of the hands of the congenitally stupid. Part of me thought this was horrible, unthinkable . . . but it sure is the Elephant in the Room ( i.e. said Elephant being supported by all the stupid. )

3 Likes

What about adoptees? Am I illegitimate now because I’m not genetically the product of my mother and father? Are they not legitimately my parents? The people who cleaned the shit out of my diapers, and taught me right and wrong, and put up with weeks of crying and sleep deprivation and ear infections?

FUCK this pile of human garbage. I hope he gets hit by a stagecoach.

18 Likes

16 Likes

17 Likes

First denying pregnant women working rights and now this? What’s next? “Going Back to the Stone Age Act”?

16 Likes

Original post seems to be missing.

ETA: Oh, this probably isn’t important, but I just thought I ought to let everyone know that I selected GLOBAL THERMONUCLEAR WAR.

12 Likes

If @doctorow was hoaxed, so was this news site

http://m.wmctv.com/wmctv/db_401748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=7SiQ7uv2

FWIW, the bill numbers don’t make sense for this year.

ETA: looks genuine:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB1406

6 Likes

Looking around, I found a Tennessee SB-1153 ( (one of the ones mentioned in that article) that looks like a bill about tax credits for historic preservation.

68-3-306 looks like a 2014 bill that says the opposite of the headline:

A child born to a married woman as a result of artificial insemination, with consent of the married woman’s husband, is deemed to be the legitimate child of the husband and wife.

On the other hand, I just found a “HB 1406” on the tn.gov domain that references an SB 1153 and has a summary of saying that it repeals the 68-3-306 I quoted above.

It looks like it may be a real thing but that someone’s wires got really crossed in the retelling?

7 Likes

Strictly speaking, in the case of artificial insemination, actual fucks need not be given.

[I’m sorry, it was way too good an opportunity to pass up. Well, a little sorry.]

21 Likes

It better be…

1 Like

Instead of 404ing it, why not redirect to the forum while you’re sorting it out?

3 Likes

9 Likes

Sorry, I think the latest meme is that we need to listen more to Trump voters, or some other dumb shit.

1 Like

I read recently, someone suggesting the way forward for the USA, has to include taking the franchise out of the hands of the congenitally stupid. Part of me thought this was horrible, unthinkable . . . but it sure is the Elephant in the Room ( i.e. said Elephant being supported by all the stupid. )

You know, the most harmful stupid are those for whom stupid is like a bottle of convenience-store fortified wine. They chug the stupid, pop a Dentyne, and chew gum while they make policy.

The intellectually challenged don’t put their thumb on the scale of democracy, that’s what the rich do.

7 Likes

Inheretince mostly. I expect some sorts of divorce proceedings have this as a thing. Mostly matters of estate though.

1 Like