Republicans tried out their billionaire tax cuts in Oklahoma and got destroyed in the next election

I was half paying attention to some news panel thing about Roy Moore. One of the guests was a Republican who was saying it was just wrong to support Moore. He also said it was not the end of the world if a Democrat took the seat since the reality was that all they needed to do was run someone who was not complete filth next time and they would get the seat back.

5 Likes

Everything’s up to date in Kansas City.

2 Likes

In their minds it’s all or nothing.

3 Likes

cc @Medievalist @Boundegar this exchange from The American President always sums up the GOP and GOP voters perfectly…

Lewis Rothschild: You have a deeper love of this country than any man I’ve ever known. And I want to know what it says to you that in the past seven weeks, 59% of Americans have begun to question your patriotism.

President Andrew Shepherd: Look, if the people want to listen to-…

Lewis Rothschild: They don’t have a choice! Bob Rumson is the only one doing the talking! People want leadership, Mr. President, and in the absence of genuine leadership, they’ll listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership. They’re so thirsty for it they’ll crawl through the desert toward a mirage, and when they discover there’s no water, they’ll drink the sand.

President Andrew Shepherd: Lewis, we’ve had presidents who were beloved, who couldn’t find a coherent sentence with two hands and a flashlight. People don’t drink the sand because they’re thirsty. They drink the sand because they don’t know the difference.

3 Likes

When there isn’t enough money to pay Ryan and McConnell’s salaries.

But back on the main article. I’m a little incensed. I get that this is a political issue and I’m not actually complaining about the reporting of it, but when you start closing public schools two days a week to save money, that’s not a political victory for the democrats. It’s an outright disaster. When a business starts selling off it’s profitable divisions to pay it’s debts, it is going under. Should I start preparing my guest room for Oklahoman refugees?

7 Likes

Could this be the rumblings of change? Oh wait…it’s just another frack-quake.

1 Like

Private enterprise, duh. It worked in Iraq and Afghanistan, after all.

3 Likes

A fifth of Oklahoma school districts no longer offer classes on Mondays or Fridays as a cost-savings measure.

More evidence that Republicans worship both Mammon and Moloch.

2 Likes

I’d like to ask the voters who finally figured out they had been fleeced how many years decades they think it will take to get the money back (restore funding and programs that were reduced or eliminated).

4 Likes

If they’ve started giving up on public education to pay creditors, then the answer is never (or not until after the revolution, at least). That’s a death spiral.

5 Likes

Considering the lost ground in education, infrastructure, and economic development? Generations.

2 Likes

Upton Sinclair, probably.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

Likewise.

The recent Virginia elections saw a massive swing to the Dems…and still no majority in the House of Delegates.

The GOP are stupid but they aren’t blind. They can read the polls, they can read these stories about Kansas, they can read all of the nonsense that’s been published about the “inevitable” demographic demise of the GOP.

Their response is not “don’t be evil”. Their response is “make sure you get the voter suppression measures enacted first”.

1 Like
2 Likes

All right, all right, the joke’s funny, but it’s ♬ gone about as far as it can go ♬.

1 Like

I just cain’t say no.

1 Like

I’m sure Eric prince is salivating at the opportunity,

2 Likes

A fifth of Oklahoma school districts no longer offer classes on Mondays or Fridays as a cost-savings measure.

I can’t believe this isn’t the main part of the story, or is this a common thing now in the US?
Ok, the endlessly shooting each other, the idea that somehow healthcare is only for people with money, the pretence that businesses are legally equivalent to people, shit America, you’ve come up with some tosh before, but now you can’t even manage to educate your children five days in a week?
Maybe time to downgrade the classification from first-world, to second-world country…

• edit, TFA makes it clear that they’ve dropped either Monday or Friday classes, to make a four day school week. Which is only half as fucked up.
4 Likes

Nope, that’s a good one and well worth repeating, but not what I’m trying to find. Thanks though!

It isn’t a common thing in sane states like California and New York. In states dominated by GOP governors and legislators, sacrificing the young in this way makes a perverse sort of sense, since the party that promotes plutocracy (which includes firearms manufacturers, private health insurers, and corporate “persons”) thrives most when the electorate is ignorant.

A lot of counties in red states (esp. in Appalachia) are close to developing-nation status in terms of things like access to quality education, medical and dental care, and clean drinking water. I forsee a day in my lifetime when China will cement the U.S.'s post-imperial and post-prosperity status by sending humanitarian aid to some of these places.