Republicans were so eager to pass the #TaxScam that they didn't notice they were taxing the churches they depend on

Yeah just saw that earlier.

Guys I got to be honest- I’m both ready to rip off my own arm in anger and utterly feel hopeless that Trump is going to get to install at least two Supreme Court judges for life.

I feel like there’s no hope left for anything decent in my country again

3 Likes

Nixon got four…

1 Like

That one moment when your enemy does something you agree with.

I’d say the process has gotten much more politicized with regards to particular social issues since the Nixon era.

3 Likes

FWIW, I can make an argument that the christian god, if he exists, turned his mack on America ca. 12 Sept. 2001. OTOH, my original argument included a sub-argument that it was Allah’s world and we infidels just lived in it, so to speak. That part of the argument I’m ready to disavow. But the christian god showering his grace on America? No way.

Republicans will now control all three branches of government.

I guess almost 250 years was a pretty good run for democracy.

Wonder which form of oligarchy we will end up with, or if trump will just come up with an excuse to defer the 2024 elections and the supreme court will approve the premise for the dear leader.

3 Likes

This article appears to assume that this was a mistake; that the GOP voted for the tax without realizing they were voting to tax churches.

Why is this assumption being made? Is there a reason (outside of “why would the GOP do that?”) to make this assumption? What does it say about the GOP if it was intentional?

3 Likes

The GOP is the current party of “religious freedom” and certainly tax-free status is part of that world view.

4 Likes

First, Congresspeople generally don’t read the bills themselves. They’re spending 4 hours a day doing fundraising calls at the gone-to-seed building across the street and those bills are morasses of legalese with all sorts of special-interest nuggets buried in them by friends and enemies alike. They have their aides do the reading.

Second, the GOP absolutely depends upon the goodwill of the Xtianist hucksters to make their margins in elections, since their suckers tend to be members of the Know-Nothing 27%. This opens up the worst of the grifters to scrutiny and administrative hassles that (thanks to what @Mindysan33 discusses above) they’ve never had to deal with before. Creeps like Joel Osteen with especially big businesses/churches are not going to be happy with this and will lean hard on the GOP if it doesn’t rescind this posthaste.

4 Likes

The whole idea of tax exemption for nonprofit organizations that are doing charitable, religious and educational work

One of these things is not like the other. One of these things doesn’t belong.

2 Likes

Sorry I couldn’t resist but seriously the GOP messing with their base again? So much for smart politics. XD

5 Likes

It’s the same petty, abusive, vindictive god.

2 Likes

What a serious TAXIDENT!!! buwahahahaha

2 Likes

I could see it happening like this:

Intern: Senator, this provision will place a tax on employee benefits for 501©(3) nonprofits.

GOP numpty: Ha! That’ll stick it to Planned Parenthood! Votes Yes

Intern: Um, Senator, churches are also 501©(3) nonprofits…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.