Researchers' new weight loss device is basically a lock on your mouth

Originally published at: Researchers' new weight loss device is basically a lock on your mouth | Boing Boing

3 Likes

koffee with karan bollywood GIF

17 Likes

Not being able to properly brush your teeth and use your jaw muscles normally seem like that alone would be enough to cause damage to a person. If someone is this desperate to lose there are infinitely better options

26 Likes

Starvation diets do not work.

17 Likes

Things like gastric bypass always seemed really extreme to me, but I know that it helps a lot of people who for various reasons really struggle. This, however just seems like the worst possible version of that concept.

7 Likes

What about laughing? Crying? Screaming when you’re in danger?

1 Like

So if you throw up, you’re condemned to drown?

2 Likes

Could be worse.

4 Likes

I have a tooth gap that’s pretty wide. I figure I could sneak some gummi bears in there. Maybe some peas? /s

15 Likes

No dude, NO!

5 Likes

I had one of those years ago. I used to take pleasure in being able to squirt water great distances from between my front teeth. When the gap was repaired I must admit that I felt a pang of sadness upon realizing that my water-squirting days were history.

10 Likes

Looks only ever so slightly more humane than this method:

blm870316

7 Likes

How about some corn?

9 Likes

Gastric bypass and others like lap band surgery work not just by preventing you from eating more, but also the prevents you from feeling hungry and wanting to eat more. This seems a lot more unpleasant. I guess it is more easily reversible?

That said, even if this turns out to be a terrible idea, I’m glad more people are looking at obesity as a health risk worthy of medical intervention.

2 Likes

Twas always so, and many books have criticized the practice.

2 Likes

3 Likes

In the article I read, it was noted that this treatment is a measure specifically aimed at those in need of bariatric surgery but who need to lose some weight in order to have the surgery.

The University of Otago said: “To clarify, the intention of the device is not intended as a quick or long-term weight-loss tool. Rather, it is aimed to assist people who need to undergo surgery and who cannot have the surgery until they have lost weight.”

(Quoted from this article.)

Though that quote is a bit daft - not “a quick or long-term weight-loss tool” - so, what - a medium term one? I do not think that is what was meant to be said.

(And @ejeffrey)

The intention is, I believe, not to starve but to enforce a medically supervised ‘liquid nourishment only’ diet to prepare patients for surgery with some weight loss.

It is pretty extreme, though.

2 Likes

Um, ok…

1 Like

allows free speech

Summer GIF

and doesn’t restrict breathing

gay cops GIF by South Park

3 Likes

Can someone explain by which mechanism a liquid-only diet leads to weight loss, in a world where coca-cola and beer are readily available?