Resident Evil 2 with the facial animation exaggerated 500%

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/31/resident-evil-2-with-the-facia.html

8 Likes

Now this is a thing of beauty.

5 Likes

12 Likes

Pete Jackson did this too (by 200%) with The Mouth of Sauron, by Bruce Spence. He also tried rotating the mouth 90 degrees but that was a bit too much.

8 Likes

lvLvMQZ

9 Likes

wtf

7 Likes

Needs more Salad Fingers.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Kenneth Williams?

2 Likes

I love that the setting is available, but why does it exist?!?!

Do they adjust it per region? Like, this is not hammy enough for Mexico, lets turn it up to 150%, or conversely, this is great for Japan, but we gotta turn things down for the states, set things to 65.3% my boy!

Is there a setting in the game itself that modifies this?
Like “Acting type: ( ) Moody ( ) Mexican daytime soap (x) Japanese gameshow”

2 Likes

Sweet. Nice beat for rapping.

Hold my beer!

Hahaha! Leon looks like Crispin Glover! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Came here thinking this was “exaggerated fecal animation.” Was disappointed.

150% is so jealous now of 500%.

I would guess there are adjustable values for individual parts of the face, like possible occupancy areas for individual spots from the motion capturing. Then there is a numeric value that increases the farther an individual spot is removed from where it would be one a completely relaxed face, or something like that.
This functionality could then be used to fine tune the animations if something feels off, or “uncanny valley”-like, and was probably just left as part of the engine, not as a “setting” per se that is supposed to be changed later on.
Anyway, that is just my assumption.

It would be funny though if there were different intensities of facial expressions for different target markets.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.