Residential tower ablaze in Russia after fighter jet crashes into it

That’s a shame that it hit an apartment building. There’s not really a lot you can do in that situation to avoid crashing into people.
We had an A-7D go down in Tucson in 1978. I was riding a bus a few blocks from where it went down, and saw the pilot pop up in the air as he ejected. He aimed the falling plane at a street to avoid a school playground, but the plane killed a few people in cars anyways.

4 Likes

I’d have thought that Russian aircraft would have an ejector seat powered by clockwork, or a giant spring mechanism. The Pilot doesn’t get a parachute but is issued a bedsheet and sewing kit before takeoff.

5 Likes

The closest I’ve ever been to an airborne vehicle almost hitting our house was in the late 70s, when a hot air balloon landed across the street. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Russian air force will rate the flight as being 95% successful.

6 Likes

They are now reporting 13 dead.

3 Likes

Conscription (AKA slave military): bad idea in ground combat; worse idea in air combat.

5 Likes

And they’re not as tall as they used to be.

So much cool architecture and art, and all the fun of watching blokes trying to squeeze their SUVs down very narrow Renaissance streets.

I was shocked, seeing how much space the Arno has to flow though the city; that if overflowed and flooded the city. Scary nature!

Back during WW2 my Grandad was part of a Barrage Balloon Crew. Their balloon went down across a town, throwing loops of steel hawser all over the place. In attempting to reel in their cable, they managed to pull the end out of some poor person’s house.

2 Likes

Is it possibly cylinders of gas for cooking exploding in the flames?

I mean, I don’t know if that’s common in that area, but it’s not impossible. But the pops sounded more like what I would expect a cannon or large caliber machine gun shell to sound like. I suspect gas cannisters would be louder.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.