Restoring a Corgi Batmobile toy

Originally published at: Restoring a Corgi Batmobile toy | Boing Boing

1 Like

i got this for christmas as a kid in the 70’s. the mortar really fired, the saw popped out with a press of a button. the flame on the back moved in and out as the car rolled. and mine had the matching bat boat and trailer that hooked onto that hitch. just a beautiful toy that my brothers and i took very little time to destroy. sure was fun though.

4 Likes

I had it too! Late '70s, must have been. Immediately lost the small parts, but the car/trailer/boat lasted a good while. It was at my grandmother’s, though, so it got a lot of breaks from 5-year-old me.

2 Likes

I still have a very nice one in good shape that still works. I also have the Bat Boat and trailer that went with it. I also still have a Green Hornet Corgi that functions and a James Bond Astin Martin Corgi. I won’t say the last one is in mint shape, but it functions with the feature to pop machine guns out the front, bullet-proof shield that pops up in back and the best part, the ejection seat works!

3 Likes

the same christmas that i got the batmobile/batboat my older brother got the james bond car. as cool as that was, i won christmas that year.

3 Likes

speaking of ejection seats, i recently built the lego Aston Martin DB5 and it has a fully functioning ejector seat. so cool!!! yes i am an old man now, and yes i still love toys.

3 Likes

I still have mine somewhere. It’s not as battered as the one in the video, but far from mint condition and all of the small parts except for Robin long lost. I can still remember how thrilled I was receiving it as a birthday present.

2 Likes

I think I found the owner:

7 Likes

Am I the only one here that liked the “before” version better?
The ‘some-kid-had-a-blast-playing-with-me’ look is more in line with how I remember my own toys of that era…

1 Like

Looking at the state of those wheels, that real had been played with hard for years.

2 Likes

Found the corner of BoingBoing filled with my spirit kin who all shared the same nerdy childhood as I had.

2 Likes

Found them. I had forgotten about the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

3 Likes

Nice! I guarantee that if you take those to antiques roadshow they’ll turn up their noses at all the toys, but they will love that box.

2 Likes

That is funny but probably true.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.