Reverse was under first, and raucous hilarity ensued

Mine has reverse out beyond 4 and down.i think the idea was if you missed R you got 4 and stalled, rather than 1 or 2 and jumping forward.

2 Likes

The UX guy in me (who is a pretty big guy) is annoyed that in both the H boxes and the L boxes, L always looks selected. (Or, under a slightly different mental model of “triangle matching background indicates selection,” “H” is always selected.) I believe the intended mental model is “White triangle indicates selected gearset”, which is far from obvious at a casual glance, but the only sensible choice semantically.

1 Like

The colours are more to indicate options not on the main shift pattern. Except for L, each gate has primary gears in two ranges (L, then 1-4 and 5-8 for 9 in total), but each primary gear is further split into a high and low range, giving 18 possible output ratios. The gear stick has separate switches for range selector and splitter.

%24_131

Aha! That makes the diagram less intrinsically bizarre but I don’t think actually improves the UX of that control set. What’s the sequence of shifting actually like? I guess the “Lo” position sets to the low gear range? Then entering a given gear at a given range you use the splitter to switch between the low and high split of that gear?

This seems like it’d be a great use case for a jockey shift or a paddle shift or something similar.

1 Like

You can’t text with both hands on the wheel. That’s why it’s an easy rule. And you don’t need to be constantly rowing the gears and dancing on a clutch to enjoy driving.

Sure you can. It’s a basic function of Car Play and Android Auto. Push the little button on the wheel and talk. It’s still a distraction from the operation of the vehicle where operating the vehicle is, by definition, not. No one is going to force you to drive a manual. Some of us find joy in being an integral part of the drivetrain. If you have an issue with how a consenting adult prefers to operate their own perfectly legal vehicle it’s on you.

1 Like

How about the Benz that James May had in one episode of TG (or GT) that had 1st down rather than up…

Obligatory brag: I had a Honda with 10 speeds. Yes, a Honda! :slight_smile:

(it was a CB1000 … 2 gearboxes)

Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth. It was a homologation special. I absolutely love the way it looks.

That’s called a dog leg first gear. (I posted a picture of one earlier in fact!)

1 Like

Oh, don’t I know how many people enjoy doing things the older, more difficult, less safe way, because of that most toxic of impulses, nostalgia. When I drive, I do not need to be part of the drivetrain, and both my hands are in full control of my vehicle. I do not begrudge someone the right to operate their vehicle how they wish, if they’re not affecting anyone else’s safety. Which steering with one hand does. Sorry.

Texting while driving manual is easy. Grip wheel with left hand, grasp gearshift and phone with the right, then you jusdgttdfgchtfvh… th jfddu…

3 Likes

You do know that one does not drive around with one hand on the wheel and one on the shifter, right? You certainly also know that it takes about a second and a half to change gears. With a self-righteous rant like that you surely must have some compelling evidence of the stick shift menace that has you so terrified. Funny how my insurance company is unaware of it. You’d think they’d be more concerned with their bottom line. Apology accepted.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.