Young driver goes from bad to worse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/26/young-driver-goes-from-bad-to-worse.html

4 Likes

7 Likes

SUV, not minivan, makes it worse.

6 Likes

Yikes. I wonder what the story is here - he clearly wasn’t supposed to be driving (and likely had no license), which is why he freaked out so badly.

5 Likes

1 Like

“Hi, mom, uh, about the car…”
#muttleysnigger

1 Like

Yeah Mom’s gonna notice that one.

2 Likes

One of my first accidents, I was driving a '74 Mercury Monterey…my classmates called it either Das Boot or The Yellow Submarine. The parked car I hit had a vanity tag that read BCARFL (actual spelling is hazy in my memory).

8 Likes

The kid’s choice of footwear makes me question his sobriety

3 Likes

Oh come on! A honda pilot may not be the best SUV, but don’t call it a minivan. The Honda odyssey is the van.

2 Likes

Seriously! Minivans have sliding doors. The term you’re looking for is “station wagon”.

2 Likes

I give up: how do you make the video full-screen?

1 Like

you really don’t want the reddit video player to go full screen. It’s so resource intensive and buggy, it’s liable to crash your system.

1 Like

sniff

This is why you don’t let minors drive.

Poor lad is terrified.

The first time my son borrowed my truck he backed it into a pole. Even though the truck was barely damaged he was shaking like a leaf.

2 Likes

This illustrates why engineering and speed limits should be based on a much safer threshold than “wisdom of the crowd” which is basically the current policy in California. We have to factor in inexperienced younger drivers and older drivers who are going blind but refuse to give up their licenses instead of the average top speed drivers are willing to risk going on a given stretch.

I have been crunching some numbers for a safety group in L.A. after stumbling across the city’s massive data trove of over 550,000 collisions since 2010. 2010-2012 are basically throwaway data as they didn’t have their act together and haven’t gone back to fix it. 2020 not so good either. And some data points or some locations were more consistently worse (meaning inaccurate or missing coordinates) than others. But one thing the data I managed to clean up confirmed is a shocking statistic: HALF of collisions in Los Angeles are hit and runs. I believe both incidents in the video are technically hit and runs. Definitely the first one. But also to hit and leave the scene on foot to go get mom is also a hit and run.

Incidentally, I am not a data scientist and running formulae in Excel has been a bear. Some things I just couldn’t do as my relatively strong PC would crash. File size is too large for google sheets. Even sharing the doc was an adventure - luckily, just in 2020 Microsoft bumped up their file size cap in One Drive. Had some terrific help from an Excel whiz I know. There’s a team of data crunchers doing much better work in L.A. who my group’s founder has been talking with called Xtown. Worth a look around.

1 Like

A pretty clear example that driving ages in the US are determined by the necessity caused by poor public transportation infrastructure (can’t drive your teens everywhere forever), rather than the setting at the age to when pre-frontal cortexes actually mature.

Ditto for not setting limits to how old you can be before you ought to retire from steering a metal killing box just to be able to go get groceries.

3 Likes

Classical schlemiel meets schlimazel.

1 Like

Your work sounds cool. Excel is awful for this kind of analysis. A scripting language backed by an SQL database will be much more pleasant to work with.

1 Like