Teen gets into fender bender backing out of his own driveway (video)

Originally published at: Teen gets into fender bender backing out of his own driveway (video) | Boing Boing

1 Like

I believe I did this once, but I barely bumped the car behind me. In my defense, no one was usually behind my car in the driveway. No harm, no foul.

3 Likes

I’ve done this once. And nearly done it perhaps a dozen times. It’s been some time since I was a teenager. In my defense, I, too, have a lot going on. (That’s not a very solid defense.)

3 Likes

The day I got my driver’s license at age 16 I clipped my brother’s Saab reversing into my driveway turnaround. Never occurred to me that the reversing arc of the front right bumper of my car would go out that far.

To be fair, many years later my dad backed into my rental car parked into that same driveway turnaround not once, but twice in subsequent years when I was home for a few days for the holidays.

Goes to show that driving competency is all about familiarity in both situations and environments.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who sees a teenager that (after putting the car behind him in neutral) tried to be cool and push it out of the way, only to have his scheme fail as he should have known it would?

4 Likes

This feels like a “dog bites man” story. I’ve only gotten in two minor accidents, both when I was a teenager just beginning to drive. I quickly learned to double check my mirrors, be generally more attentive and drive more defensively. (Knock on wood).

3 Likes

Well, there is a cut in the video during which that could have happened but the “Oh my god!” exclamation seems real, as if he really forgot the car was there. Needs more expurgated footage restored.

And person who parked behind the truck left their car in Neutral? This is a family of bad drivers.

5 Likes

OH! That explains a lot. He should have pushed it with human power, or just MOVED it.

1 Like

You can have a mix of good/bad/untrained. My brother backed into the closed garage door of our house (from inside!) while warming up mom’s car because he thought it was in neutral, not reverse, when he let out the clutch. Granted, he was still a student driver at the time.

2 Likes

The first time my younger daughter backed out of the driveway on her own she hit our friend’s car. In her defense it was a very long driveway with a curve in it and the friend had, for some reason, parked way the eff down on the other side of the curve. Since then (18 years?) no accidents at all. So I guess that initial accident was like a vaccine that activated her driving defenses.

2 Likes

For some of us, it takes two or three shots before it takes effect. /s

2 Likes

Boosters!

1 Like

As a “just barely tall enough” driver when I was a teen, this makes sense on two levels!

To my credit, I never had any accidents in my dad’s 70’s custom Chevy pickup. It was kind of like those sci-fi scenarios with the teeny-tiny scientist manning a super-giant robot. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

If I understand what you are saying - I did that once too. :confused:

heck, i’m backing out of a turnabout right now!

1 Like

Like others, I also did this a few years ago, though in my case it was my small car backing into a truck. I actually caused some body damage to both vehicles unfortunately.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.