Six-year-old boy sneaks parents' car out for a joy ride, makes a huge hole in neighbor's house

Originally published at: Six-year-old boy sneaks parents' car out for a joy ride, makes a huge hole in neighbor's house | Boing Boing

5 Likes

16 Likes

tenor

18 Likes

I was trying to find a clip of that scene from Talledega Nights: the Ballad of Ricky Bobby in which the title character goes for a joyride in his mom’s stationwagon as a kid (“I wanna go fast!”) and found this:

12 Likes

That kid is going to have a great story to tell for the rest of his life (which may be short, at the rate he’s going).

15 Likes

I wonder how insurance companies handle this sort of situation.

8 Likes

Poorly, they’ll deny the claim.

15 Likes

I believe that was actually in Glendale, AZ

1 Like

There’s no such thing as a bad kid.
This Child Training Essentials Course
can turn even a problem child around.

7 Likes

We are Farmers, boomp-iddy-ump-bump bumbp-bump-bump!

3 Likes

I think the risk of that sort of thing happening over here in Europe is way smaller, because most cars are stick-shift. Our kids need to be at least 9 or so before they manage to drive anywhere near a neighbour’s house.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Yes, but there sure as hell is such a thing as a bad driver.

4 Likes

The damage to the neighbors house and potential harm of the child notwithstanding, I often find I have feelings of admiration and encouragement when I read stories like this. The fact that he did this in the middle of night shows he knew his parents wouldn’t approve, but he just had to do it,

7 Likes

Must have been a big 6 year old. Average height for that age range is like 4 feet tall, be a little hard to reach the pedals, especially in a truck.

6 Likes

Or he could be one of those fearless idiots who lives much longer than he has any right to. Only time will tell.

1 Like

There’s no such thing as a bad driver.
This Driver Training Essentials Course
can turn even a problem driver around.

6 Likes

When I was this age, I was having nightmares about being in a car behind the wheel, not knowing wtf to do! :dizzy_face: It was a somewhat recurring dream, even took place on a dream version of a real stretch of road in my home area.

I don’t think I would have wanted to be in the real version at all!

1 Like

That’ll buff out.

6 Likes

Where that feeling comes from is understandable and very human… although I can think of an altogether different, not improbable outcome where those feelings would never ever come up. I’d think it also understandable – perhaps more so – that, for some, those same feelings would never come up given the actual outcome, and with some connected action applied to help mitigate the chance of one’s child ever endangering himself and others again. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like