Guy deals with little kid who sets off his driveway cam every day

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/28/guy-deals-with-little-kid-who.html

28 Likes

Very cool, now add some jumps and a butane- fueled flaming hoop.

17 Likes

cd016748b05d8a747d1e9bbe41586ef3

38 Likes

The dad in me is all like, yeah that’s super nice.

Meanwhile the rest of me:

14 Likes

The secret to life is simple: Just don’t be an asshole.

50 Likes

I needed this right now. The majority of social media shows Karens and Kevins shrieking, “GET OFF MY PROPERTY!” And then we have this guy, trying to make a miserable year more fun for his neighbors. I think I would do something like this if I knew of any neighbors who would enjoy it.

Also, is that kid wearing an R2-D2 helmet? Adorable!

40 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xj-J0NUuk8

27 Likes

It’s less simple in a culture that incentivizes, conditions toward, and makes us all complicit in all manner of assholery.

5 Likes

Man, do I need more stories like this. My cheek muscles are starting to atrophy so I need to smile more often.

19 Likes

It would have been a little better if he’d concealed a rake or a swinging log trap at the end of the course, but it’s still good as is

8 Likes

I’ll admit there are grey areas - does buying clothing that was likely produced in an Asian sweatshop make one an asshole? But I feel the kind of day-to-day decisions we make are less fraught. This is a case where the guy could have come out and told the parents to stop letting this kid ride on his driveway - something his private property rights would allow him to do. But he realized that would be an asshole move.

It may not be easy to ignore the incentives and conditioning, but it is simple to recognize them for what they are there and do your best to overcome it. Nobody is going to be perfect. But we shouldn’t excuse asshole behaviour just because society makes it easier to be an asshole than to be a decent human.

9 Likes

If you ride a motorcycle on the street, you should be watching this guy’s videos. His instruction and demonstrations on trail braking and late apex are amazing. I’ve been riding for forty years and immediately improved my lines after watching. There’s no macho, knee-dragging hype. Just the same gentle love of motorcycles and riding you see in this video.

12 Likes

Very cool video, definitely the kid was having the best of times and considering what we’re all going through seeing this kind of encouragement and empathy between strangers is really heartwarming :slight_smile:

20 Likes

That helmet is legit! Have to find one for myself, for just walking around and stuff. Lord knows I need one.

11 Likes

The kid also learned to ride a bike over the course of the summer! At the beginning (June timestamps in the video) he’s riding a walking/balance bike, but at the end (August timestamps) he’s graduated to a bike with pedals and is whipping around those tight curves like he’s been riding for years.

36 Likes

Presumably the camera is there for security purposes. What he’s done with some simple chalk lines is make his neighbors part of his now interactive security system, paying attention to his driveway and house because he’s made their kid’s and their lives more pleasant and enjoyable. Two thumbs up!

24 Likes

Just a simple yes!

4 Likes

He’s in need of some upgrades.

4 Likes

Thank you, very sweet.

5 Likes

From that still frame, and only reading up to the | it sounded like a very different solution was coming. I was very pleased at the actual content.

12 Likes