Absolutely insane video of car driving backwards on highway and busy roads

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/06/absolutely-insane-video-of-car.html

3 Likes

Hopefully they didn’t use a back-up camera, because that would be cheating.

7 Likes

I get the backing up the on-ramp but to continue with going in reverse after that took dedication.

19 Likes

Roger That!

4 Likes

Whoa…maybe their forward gears died and they didn’t want to call a tow truck? Still pretty wacky.

15 Likes

While the driver might have been seriously drunk, it’s also possible that they had transmission trouble of some kind, and were not able to get out of reverse (or not able to go forward for some reason). And having discovered this problem on the onramp, they did their best to extricate themselves and get to a garage.

I know it’s unwise to underestimate the stupidity of one’s fellow human beings, but mechanical difficulties that prevented going forward seems to be the simpler explanation.

eta: ninjaed by @Horselover_Fat

7 Likes

Gender Non-conforming?

18 Likes

Once upon a time I had a friend who was a Very Bad Influence. Got in all kinds of trouble! One time his Dad was complaining we were putting too many miles on their El Camino. So we took it out one Saturday night and drove it around backwards most of the evening in our home town. Drinking, smoking, loud music. A miracle no one was hurt or we weren’t arrested.

Brought it back with 1/10 of a mile less than when we took it out of the garage. Not a peep. We were inspired to bring it back with MUCH LESS next time but wisely decided to get into some other trouble.

8 Likes

Ah, Gender Road, my favorite Bruce Springsteen song

9 Likes

I know how they made that. The one car was driving forward, it was all the other cars that were driving backward.

18 Likes

That was my first thought; transmission problem made itself known on the freeway.

1 Like

Maybe every one else is driving the wrong way and he’s the only one doing it right. Ever think of that? Vote for my candidate!

7 Likes

After the on ramp thing, I had to wonder if it was one of those cars modded to look like its driving backwards.

The guess the transmission was FUBAR makes the most sense, I guess.

2 Likes

Insert “License To Drive” movie quote…

3 Likes

Say what you will about the wisdom of these maneuvers… Whoever was operating that car is one hell of a driver. Serious respect. Man.

7 Likes

And yeah. Either the transmission was fucked or this was some kind of dare.

2 Likes

This guy rocks! I thought there was going to be stupidity leading to an accident.

1 Like

All that just to get to a Kroger?!

5 Likes

Of course, a sane person would stop and call for a tow…

2 Likes

Not everyone who owns a car can afford to pay for a tow when the car breaks down on the road. I can see someone rationally deciding that as stupid and dangerous as it was to drive backwards to the garage, it was the only way to not bust their budget for the month.

6 Likes