Review: American Standard 735125-400.020 Toilet Tank Lid

A - cats gaining weight are prone to diabetes, so we were trying to monitor one or two of them who ate too much
B - I struggled with that sentence too (but not in the same way!) Alas the one we worried about had a heart problem, and died a few years ago – but she lived to 12.5 yrs in reasonable shape.

2 Likes

What a crappy attitude.

Or maybe toilet paper softens over time. I see a market for vintage bog roll …

3 Likes

I haven’t seen them in US homes, but we have them at work. I suspect that toilets just don’t get replaced very often.

my parents had an early 1980s Amana microwave that lasted until about 2007 before it started acting weird. The next one lasted about 2 years. it does seem to be a pattern…

2 Likes

i just noticed a very small thing but maybe on topic: bought an expensive mothers day card, and the glue (or whatever you call that adhesive you have to lick) on the dang envelope was so cheap it wouldn’t hold the envelope shut. I was like, seriously, you charge 8 bucks for a little bit of paper and you still feel the need to skimp on the envelope glue?

4 Likes

You can return it for a refund and not even pay the return shipping.

I can’t decide if I hate you or love you right at this moment.
:joy: :skull:

“Functional yet curiously suspect”

I’ve had coworkers like that…

4 Likes

I’ve seen quite a few multi-flush toilets out here in CA. Real natives (full disclosure, not a CA native) practically live with a bucket in the shower. Enkwife is sick of having the 1 gallon plastic jug in the shower, but it takes 4-5 gallons before the water gets hot enough to shower. I can get a couple flushes and some water for the lime and lemon trees right off the bedroom. 1 gallon can do two liquids-only flushes if your aim and timing is good! Don’t even bother with solids…

2 Likes

Many of us do. But as an example: I work and am related to a sadly large number of people who defiantly choose to NOT use water-efficient devices.

2 Likes

I wonder if Amazon has a system to track down the brainiac who actually packaged it. If not, I’d guess they did it out of spite. In which case I can’t say I blame them.

Not only that, but in the city of Chicago proper there are many granfathered buildings with flat-rate water service.

1 Like

FWIW, my $300 Kohler toilet’s lid fits, but seems like it’s not right too. And it’s the original lid. Maybe toilet tank lids have looser specs than they used to.

Report back? From the void? Trust me, you don’t want to know.

2 Likes

This lid is now a tax deduction?

4 Likes

Well, there has been a push recently to get Americans to use toilet paper with less virgin wood and more recycled wood–it is slightly less soft, but also less destructive to the environment. So the newer, harsher TP might be an advance in civilization, not a decline…

2 Likes

Even really high-end porcelain bath fixtures can vary dramatically from one unit to the next, it’s just the nature of porcelain. The parts are matched up at the factory after the firing process has shrunk and distorted them. I’ve heard a couple master plumbers tell me that the professional supply houses get the factory firsts, home centers get the factory seconds, and the factory thirds find their way onto the internet. There is no such thing as parts interchangeability in this case, you never really stood a chance of getting a tank lid that fit. Put some gel dots in the places where the gaps are to keep it from rocking and call it good.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some labelled “Recycled Toilet Paper”, but it didn’t seem to sell very well for some reason.

1 Like

Toilet paper softens with age. I’ve got a roll of 1983 Charmin that I’m saving for a special occasion.

3 Likes