Review: "Liebestrasse" is a frighteningly relevant LGBTQ graphic novel set in the Weimar Republic

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/20/review-liebestrasse-is-a.html

5 Likes

Not gonna nitpick too much but “Liebesstraße” would seem to me how the title should be spelled…

2 Likes

Artist Tim Fish expanded on this in the same interview, saying “I couldn’t help thinking about the gay men and lesbians, living in a relatively liberal place and time, their lives abruptly changed. … Ultimately, I wanted people to be reminded that despite our steps forward in acceptance, there’s always a threat of steps back.”

That reminder can’t be repeated often enough. History is not a glorious march of ever-increasing progress.

4 Likes

-ss is acceptable when typing -ß is incovenient.

7 Likes

In a similar vein – Donna Barr’s Desert Peach series, about Rommel’s fictitious gay younger brother.

3 Likes

Yes.
Unless the second word is meant to be »Trasse«, which means something like “subgrade” or “the location of a highway”. :sweat_smile:
When you stick certain German words, such as »Liebe« (love) and »Strasse«/»Straße« (street) together, you have to stick in an extra »s« in this case, called a joinder sound (»Fugenlaut«).
edit: i forgot one ß and typed ss first.

2 Likes

Then you end up with lots of Americans named “Weebee”

This is set in the Weimar Republic, isn’t it? I think it might have been sz instead of ss back then …

OK :smiley: admittedly Liebes|trasse works…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.