Review: Mainstays $9 portable electric burner

You are correct. Generally, the items will have a different model number or bar code but you have to look closely. I have seen debate about power tools and the big box home supply stores having this issue as well.

Then there are thousands of companies in China willing to make anything for someone as cheaply as possible and even provide fake UL or CSA certification info on the device.

Then add in any number of American companies willing to license their company name to those Chinese producers so even if you buy what you think is something made by an “upstanding” century old US firm, you find you still have Chinese junk.

Subscribe to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s recall notices. They can be depressing. Some dangerous item is recalled and then you look and find the exact item is sold under seventeen different labels including major brands you’d have thought made their own widgets.

7 Likes

The little butane powered stove that a large percentage of the world’s people use to cook every day cost $10 to $12. And they work when the power goes out. Here is one on Amazon for $20. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYGMO6M?psc=1
You can pay up to $100.00 for them, if you buy from a specialty cooking shop. Aldi has them for $14.00.
Don’t store them with the cylinder installed.

3 Likes

This problem can easily be fixed. Don’t shop at fucking Walmart.

4 Likes

Well, no, it’s not, which is why it’s able to grow new words, such as the etymological jackknifed sewage tanker that is “electrocution”.

6 Likes

Would it surprise you to know that I considered using the word “electrocuted” just to annoy people such as yourself?

14 Likes

No, not in the slightest.

I just admire you for resisting!

14 Likes

Well punned, sir.

8 Likes

2 Likes

Exactly. In what alternate universe is a $9 hot plate from Walmart a good idea.

When your only alternative is squirrel cooked in a popcorn popper:

ETA: Squirrel does not, and should not taste like chicken. Bad one-box.

3 Likes

Wow. Boing Boing really does care. :cry:

4 Likes

I thought the really basic DIY heating method used the water itself as a resistive element - just two bits of bare wire a couple centimetres apart.

Just showed up in my email:

We’ve recently learned that the following product you received may differ from the product described on our website and may not perform as expected:

AXIS 45086 3-Prong to 2-Prong Electrical Adapter - 2 Pack

Although the product was labeled with a UL safety certification mark, UL does not believe this product meets their standards and may pose a shock hazard.

When I searched google for that description the first hit was for Walmart.

Get one of the Iwatani butane cartridge burners. I got one that puts out 15000 BTUs, which I use instead of my electric range for anything where heat or control is important. They’re great.

I think you’re right, he’s had quite a few similar items, I don’t think my mind wanted to remember how bad it really was.

Of course, Snapper is now sold at Wal-mart.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Snapper&cat_id=5428_1102182_1225352_1218916

1 Like

Yes but those look like normal priced ones.

Many years ago a coworker of mine told me a story of a friend who was involved with sales for a large fishing tackle company. I believe their name rhymes with Schmenn. When negotiating with Walmart, Walmart’s purchaser unilaterally indicated that they were going to be paying less for a specific item, so that they could undercut some of their brick and mortar and online competitors while simultaneously increasing their margin.

The sales rep told the purchaser that the price he was suggesting was actually less than it cost to make said item and there was no way that they could sell that volume at that price without financially damaging the company.

The purchaser indicated that he knew that was the case, that’s why the fishing tackle company would be replacing the electroless nickel plated saltwater resistant metal gears inside said item with injection molded, nylon or phenolic ones and switching to an offshore bearing supplier. Oh, and they wouldn’t be changing the SKU either, so Walmart’s item would look identical in online searches, but be substantially cheaper.

The company’s sales rep consulted his management and refused. Eventually the agreement was that the model names would stay the same, but that the SKU would be a different number.

This is of course, hearsay. But it sounded pretty plausible to me.

4 Likes

I took apart a $4 two slice pop-up toaster from walmart and was very impressed at all the ways they cut corners and still made a semi-working product. the thing really shouldn’t work or be sold, but never the less is an impressive feat.

And where was it manufactured?