Review: Pimping my Char-Broil TRU-Infrared grill with a rotisserie robot, and all the fixins

For the love of Pete. When will it end?

For me? I fear it wonā€™t.

1 Like

Fortune had passed me by. Maybe not for you. But for me? Iā€™ll forego any more tales.

1 Like

The question Iā€™m left with: Where can I buy an ethically and sustainably raised chicken? (My place now only does cows/pigs, errr, beef/pork.)

1 Like

I misread you there, and for a second was scratching my head thinking ā€œhow do you go about finding ethnically raised poultry?ā€ Then went on to think ā€œWhat does ethnically raised poultry mean? Iā€™m missing something hereā€. Then re-read the comment.

Soā€¦ Sounds like a problem. Is there a town next door that allows people to raise chickens? I know in my particular town, chickens arenā€™t allowed, but the town next door was a chicken farming community during the early 20th century and allows up to 12 hens and a rooster per acre lot. Iā€™m glad I live far out of earshot of that town. Roosters donā€™t know dick about crowing at dawn. Theyā€™ll crow whenever the hell they want to, ie most of the time.

1 Like

I raised chickens until May when I moved. I had to give away the five egg-hens. (The town allowed six but the beagle got Michaela Jackson. Mad Maxine was also attacked but she survived.)

So, Iā€™m not into gutting/prepping poultry myself. Too much work for too little payoff (like small trout; unlike deer). Also, I canā€™t help but name them (see above) which cramps the murder/flavor.

The point I was alluding to is that even at the supposed local farms, who get listed at nice restaurants around these parts, such as ā€œCarlton Farms Porkā€ or whateverā€¦ I frankly donā€™t trust anything Iā€™ve not checked out personally. I suspect any traditional hog/chicken/cow farm thatā€™s selling in a grocery/restaurant is highly-unlikely to be ethical/sustainable. Note: Ethical/sustainable is my self-important way of saying ā€œNot gross looking, not gross smelling, not torture-y, and looks like something Iā€™d want to put in my mouth.ā€

FWIW, I still order meat (with guilt), and harvest my own (or try to), I just donā€™t buy it unless itā€™s from a known source.

tl;dr, Modern meat is hard, man.

3 Likes

Does your town ban them outright? I mean, it might be manageable to try and organize a like-minded group to raise the issue at a city Council meeting or something. Craigslist might be useful there what with geography based social networking.

Are there any co-ops you know of who might be interested in hyper-locally sourced poultry and eggs? If you can find that kind of thing it might be a good starting point.

My cousins and aunt and uncle on Camano Island Washington have raised chickens their whole lives there, and these days they sell the chickens to the next door neighbors when they get too old and stop laying. The chickens arenā€™t really pets, but I do agree itā€™s a long walk for a little meat when it comes time to butcher. Honestly, I had a very hard time with slaughtering them myself the few summers as a kid when I had to do that. But Iā€™d rather do it myself and deal with knowing about what I did. Iā€™ve been cutting back a lot on meat to remain consistent in my personal philosophy, and I had to stop sport fishing completely. I canā€™t choke down any seafood, so it was catch and release, which is basically torture for the sake of entertainment.

I hate roosters. My next door neighbor had one that crowed all night every night. ā€¦Fortunately that neighbor was about a half mile awayā€¦ I was pretty remote.

2 Likes

Iā€™m allowed egg-chickens here, along the same lines of the last place, just no more spaceā€¦ or time (although I automated the shit out of the last coop/run!).

Fish, are, wellā€¦ fish. My empathy doesnā€™t seem to kick into gear for themā€¦ yetā€¦

I mean, the crazy skeleton sushi thing is for sociopaths, but my anchovies with capers in olive oil only has the tang of
EDIT: by-line bycatch (THEY ARENā€™T REPORTERS!!!)
or dolphin catchā€¦ right?

I need to talk to the nearby folks who were advertising raw-milkā€¦ I bet they have humane, tasty, and only $2x meat (which is about 4x the meat I should eat).

1 Like

I like the rotisserie set thatā€™s neat. That thermometer is cheap but I love my Thermapen. I would buy another even instead of a $14 one.