Review: Punkt's MP01 is the ultimate minimalist dumbphone

Careful.
I resemble that comment.

3 Likes

The ultimate minimalist dumbphone would be a classic black bakelite rotary phone with the interior filled with enough lithium to power it for a human lifetime

11 Likes

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/287

5 Likes

Powered by “hipster irony” would be even better. Carbon neutral!

1 Like

I can’t see the point of that. First the 6310 was surely the best classical Nokia - long battery life, very good at what it did. But second, before everything became monoliths with rounded corners, Motorola and Samsung competed for really interesting designs. Some of those, brought up to date with capacitive buttons, colour LCDs, and perhaps a watch sapphire window and waterproofing, would look and work far better than either the Punkt or the 3310. My wife destroyed a 3310 by dropping it in a pond, whereas her waterproof Sony Z1 looks like it will wear out before it suffers any damage. (I too destroyed a phone, an expensive Motorola, by falling off a boat; this isn’t a sexist rant.)

The Leica M of phones, with the additional cachet of a non-replaceable battery.

The point is that this particular phone is not “really shitty.”

Oh and AT&Ts 2G network is gone as of a January.

1 Like

flawless phone

That’s “flawless” from a product design point of view, right?

Anyone knows the make and model of baseband engine used in that thing?

@beschizza
Do you know this one?

Motorola F3. Probably, if you can get hold on one, one of the most dumbest, smallest, sturdy phones, with a very long battery life.

5 Likes

I thought it might look like this:

4 Likes

Sensible? Hmph! A sensible language would be forth!

1 Like

I keep one in my box of “Burner Phones” (i.e. - every old mobile I’ve had back to the Razr Flip.)

2 Likes

I sure do know it – I had one for years as my daily driver.

The key shortcoming is that the LCD display is divided into alarm-clock style numerals instead of pixels. This means messaging is unreadable and you can’t even fit a full phone number on one line.

Other than that, it’s my favorite phone of all time. e-ink!

In 2008 I designed this and think it is now possible:

7 Likes

Simply move the Safari icon to the unused second page of your home screen, return to the first page, then glue a small strip of plywood to the right hand side of the screen to block the second page from sliding into view.

9 Likes

This is the correct answer.

6 Likes

The phone and texting parts of most phones, smart and dumb, aren’t all that different in quality. I was referring to the “smart” stuff being shitty, thus unusable.

Either https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900 or just ask him to crawl out of his own ass a bit.

1 Like

Only if you consider using the programmer’s brain as a pre-processor to be sensible. Not my thing tbh.

I accept that not everyone ‘gets’ object oriented programming, even after 47years, which is of course the explanation for half-hearted junk like java, c++, etc. I don’t have to accept that low a standard for my own software.

…sequious brother and tell him to fuck off.

Also works for …noxious.

4 Likes