Review / Smurfs: The Lost Village

That reminds me that I need to go generate some more smurftears. Green power!

Snorks for me.

(I’m kidding! Thundarr.)

1 Like

But as discussed in Donnie Darko, smurfs don’t have genitals, as presumably having no females (canonically) would mean they don’t reproduce sexually making Gargamel’s whole strategy of introducing Smurfette flawed.

3 Likes

Gargamel may not have been the sharpest opponent.

1 Like

I’m sorry you had to sit through all three of them. Even my kids (about 4 and 6 at the time) didn’t like the first two. I, thankfully, have not had the chance to destroy my soul by watching them.

1 Like

Oh heck no, just seeing the previews for the first two movies was enough to make me conclude they were irredeemable crimes against cinema and childhood.

1 Like

Sadly, that is the case with MOST of the 80s cartoons. The kids these days are spoiled with great animation, way better writing, and more complex characters. At least we had it better than the 70s kids, who got even less actual animation.

4 Likes

100% agree. People complained about Michael Bay ruining their childhood with his Transformer adaptations but all he really did was turn a terrible series of kids’ toy commercials into a terrible series of adult truck commercials.

5 Likes

Even when I was ten years old, my reaction to Transformers was “this isn’t a show, it’s just a really long ad; I ain’t watching that sleazy crap.”

Robotech, OTOH…

2 Likes

I think people lament that they COULD have taken something, polished it up, modernized it, and made it really, really good.

Like with Transformers, the comics and some of the video games successfully build upon the old.

IMHO, the problem is Hollywood takes properties only because their existing fan base means brand recognition - even for people who AREN’T fans, at least know OF the property. Then they make what ever with little to no regard for the source material.

Wasn’t much better… I didn’t get to see this as a kid, but I got the comics when I as in middle-high school, and finally watched the first season of the Anime… eh yes much better animation wise, but story wise… I got bored pretty quick. :confused: YMMV.

And they did have Robotech toys, but they weren’t as popular here as they were in Japan.

Fun fact, Transformer’s Jetfire is a repackaged Veritech fighter.

1 Like

…guys are still generally verbs (Handy, Hefty, Brainy)

Adjectives.

3 Likes

The story wasn’t helped by Macek frankensteining several unrelated series together and grafting his own plot on top. But I admit that Minmei wears thin pretty quickly.

There’s a major difference between “there are toys related to this show” and “the entire purpose of this show is to advertise toys”.

Most of the original Battletech mechs were also Robotech copies. Wasp/Stinger/Phoenix/Crusader were all Veritech variants; Ostroc/Ostscout/Marauder were Zentradi battle pods; Warhammer/Archer/Longbow/Rifleman were assorted non-Veritech Earth mecha.

1 Like

Basically Smurfs: The Lost Village can be summarized as a feature-length version of this Tom the Dancing Bug comic:

5 Likes

Good review. The male names are adjectives, not verbs. That is all.

1 Like

[quote=“me”]
…guys are still generally verbs (Handy, Hefty, Brainy)

[quote=“Richard79, post:31, topic:99877, full:true”]
Adjectives.
[/quote][/quote]

cc @Tavie

Sure! But their being adjectives is surely less interesting than how they describe an action and usually derive from words being used as verbs. Hence the contrast between verb and noun names.

(And there are some female smurf names that work as verbs, like Storm. And some male smurf names that really can’t, like Vanity)

1 Like

THAT was her name! The talk of Robotech was vaguely bring back the plot/characterizations. God, i hated her.

Had no idea!

OTOH the author of that article is Israeli but says:

In the Bible it is Eve, the first woman, who tempts Adam and brings about the fall of humankind.

but that right there is a Christian understanding.

Otherwise while I have zero inclination to see this movie, the post was worth reading for @beschizza word gold!

1 Like

It sounds like the film is just trying way too hard. And they forgot to bring the funny as well.

Of course, it could be better. It could have easily been reimagined as a comedy horror film. Sounds far-fetched? Not really. After all, this is based on a series where the main characters are living in fear of being eaten by the antagonist, and it’s also the source of the original zombie apocalypse story.

Yes, really. Nine years before Romero released his first zombie film, we had this story in the comics:

This was the most painful review of anything Ive ever read. Did the writer get a degree out of a box of cereal, grammar is rough to be kind. Second, its a kids movie, for real children, it’s not supposed to be “War and Peace,” or Dr. Zhivago. All relevant information can be related in 4 easy paragraphs: Introduction, support paragraphs, and conclusion. In 60’s lingo, “Man dig yourself.” Now I have to take my Grandson to the movie to see if HE enjoys it, is he entertained? He will sum it up in one word either way, “boring” or fun."

I don’t think so, but he’s got cerial box cred.